How much shall i charge to tutor?

ikle_pixie 13:30 13 Feb 05

I have been given the opportunity to tutor someone on using word and spreadsheets.
I have a small qualification in adult teaching and quite a few IT qualifications so i know what i'm doing?
She had been going to an IT shop to be taught but wasnt getting the help she needed. So she needs me to work through the 2 modules with her.
So how much should i charge an hour?
Is there any IT tutors on here that can tell me how much they charge?
Obviously i don't want to charge as much as a professional.

Any ideas?

Sir Radfordin 14:06 13 Feb 05

How much do you value your time and how much will she value your experience and then the ability to do tasks she couldn't do before?

I don't know what the 'going rate' is for this kind of work but would put a guess at something like £10ph or £20-30 for a 2-3 hour session. There is a posibility that this person could get free support from the local FE/HE college so that is worth thinking about.

Don't forget that the tax man will want to know about any other income you may get!

spuds 17:54 13 Feb 05

Depends on what she can afford, and what you think is a reasonable rate. If you are in every day employment, what hourly rate do you receive for your services. Having paper qualification, do not always make a great teacher, and this can prove a big obstacle, depending on your pupils capability and thinking power.

If you want to make some serious money, then become a trainee solicitor for a small to medium sized company, £75-£150 plus vat per hour.

Mike D 22:53 13 Feb 05

My going rate is up to £50 per hour for business customers, £20 to 30 per hour for "one offs" for non business customers and £10 -15 per hour for regulars or where I am earning from a regular source already.

As Sir Radfordin sugests, she may be able to get free or subsidised training from a college, but a number of people I come across prefer to pay to get one to one attention.

Mike

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:06 14 Feb 05

£10-£15/hr seems to be the going rate for guitar lessons and I would base your charges on this.

G

polo 15:24 14 Feb 05

Don't be an old meanie! Do it for nothing, why does everyone have to charge for everything these days. Do something nice for them and maybe they'll do a good turn for someone else.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:27 14 Feb 05

You may come and service my car for free as my garage charges £350 for a service. Please email me ASAP /eyes raise

G

Forum Editor 17:11 14 Feb 05

have to charge for everything these days.(?)"

Because Sainsburys tend not to let you through the checkout without a sight of your wallet, BT have the annoying habit of sending a bill for your phone calls, Restaurants stupidly want money in exchange for a meal, and because in the real world you'll starve or die of exposure if you think that the way to have a happy life is to go around doing work for nothing.

Tutoring can be hard work - I know, because I do a fair bit of it myself. Charge the right price for the job and you'll be more inclined to give value for money, so don't pitch your hourly rate too low. I'm not going into details of my hourly charge rate because it isn't relevant, but I can tell you that £50 per hour is certainly not exceptional for good one-to-one computer tuition, provided a business is paying. If you're teaching private clients you'll be lucky to find many who will pay that sort of money - between £20 and £30 would be about right. As with all things fee-related there's a considerable variation in the market, and you'll be the best judge of what seems right as far as you're concerned. One thing to keep in mind when quoting fees is that you don't want to find that you've trapped yourself - clients have a habit of recommending you to their friends, and if you've under-priced yourself with one person you may be stuck with charging the same for all his/her friends, or risk awkward explanations. Get it right first time, and stick to it.

recap 09:55 15 Feb 05

I think different parts of the country charge different rates. The local rate here in the North East varies from £18 - £25 per hour.

polo 19:01 15 Feb 05

Obviously everyone needs to earn a reasonable living but beyond that it doesn't hurt for people to do things for nothing or at a low rate to help someone who otherwise couldn't afford to learn a skill.You have to take care though because I've found that it's often those who can very well afford it who are most inclined to take advantage. Sounded to me that here was someone doing a little extra curricular activity and a little generosity might not come amiss, entirely up to the individual of course.Just trying to make the point that everyone doesn't ALWAYS have to charge for everything, I'm sure you often do that sort of thing yourself at times, surely.

quack 14:02 17 Feb 05

I too have a qualification in IT teaching but fully accept the point that a piece of paper doesn't make a good teacher. I have tried teaching on a one to one basis but found it very difficult to feel that I had given clients value for money as the majority forget most of what you have taught them the minute you walk out of their door. To do the job efficiently you will need to prepare some form of lesson plan complete with exercises to enable the client to put in to practice all that you have told them. Coupled with the fact that many people assume that you are their personal 'help line' and ring at all hours for advice. My personal answer was to give teaching a miss. If however you really want to do it, a charge of about £20 per hour is acceptable to the majority of clients.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…