How many PCA forum members are still on dial-up?

CurlyWhirly 21:23 04 Sep 04

With the cost of broadband coming down all the time due to it increasing in popularity I was wondering how many PCA Forum members are still on dial-up and whether they intend upgrading to broadband in a couple of days time when BT scrap ALL distance limitations for the basic 512kb service?

BT are trying a different approach to try and get as many people as possible to upgrade as they realise that there IS sufficient interest in broadband after all!
I read in a website article that as of April 2004 there are nearly 4 million broadband users in the UK though this includes ADSL, Cable, Wireless and Satellite.
CW

Newuser38 23:15 04 Sep 04

BT have advised that I will be able to get Broadband on 27 July 2005!! Still it ought to be a lot cheaper by then.

CurlyWhirly 23:17 04 Sep 04

27 July 2005 - that's a long wait my friend!
Do you live in a rural area like Scotland by any chance?
CW

Newuser38 23:21 04 Sep 04

Rural Staffordshire. Exchange still a wooden shed.

CurlyWhirly 23:25 04 Sep 04

Never mind it is something for you to look forward to after a 10 month wait!
I am surprised that BT have not been able to update your exchange any sooner than this still I suppose they have their reasons like not many customers connected to the exchange as it is like you said a rural area.
CW

zanwalk 00:41 05 Sep 04

Rural Mid Wales... And no sign of B/B yet.

CurlyWhirly 00:48 05 Sep 04

I have been lucky enough to have had broadband since May 2003 and I am hoping to upgrade to 1 mb service (from 512 kb) when BT update their online checkers tomorrow (Monday) at click here
Have a try tomorrow as they are scrapping ALL limits on their 512 kb service as explained at click here
Worth a look?
CW

kev.Ifty 01:21 05 Sep 04

Hello Mate don't mean to hijack your thread but it got me thinking..

Has anyone who has Wanadoo 512kb at £17.99 been able to upgrade to the 1mb service for free?

might save me a phone call :-)

Kev

CurlyWhirly 01:25 05 Sep 04

I read on this PCA Forum that unfortunately Wanadoo charge £20 for upgrading as they are targetting new customers who they hope are going to swap over to their service.
Very unfair I know but that's life!
CW

CurlyWhirly 01:29 05 Sep 04

Found the thread here it is at click here
Most unfair yes?
CW

kev.Ifty 01:33 05 Sep 04

Thanks for that..

£20 divided by 12(months)+ £17.99 .Is still less than £20 per month. Not bad for 1mb............

Might give it a go

Cheers Kev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5