How many passwords?

octal 23:44 05 Oct 09

I can't believe it, I've just totalled up the number of sties that require a password and I've no less than 80 of them, after reading about the Hotmail email accounts being compromised and to change all your other passwords if they are the same, I've got a bit of a mammoth task ahead of me, me thinks. Is everyone else in the same boat with that number of passwords? Thankfully, not all my passwords are the same as the Hotmail one, but still quite a number to be getting on with.

OTT_Buzzard 00:14 06 Oct 09

I have a number of shared passwords, but my biggest problem is that when i register with a site i've used the same (hotmail) email address for years to register with. And what happens when you register with a site? They send your username and password to the email address.

That means that no matter what other site passwords I have, if anyone has had access to my email account, they will know not only what sites to go to, but what the login details are.

Erring on the side of caution I'm cancelling my cards. A frightening number of sites store card details and will let you change delivery addresses.

Picklefactory 08:12 06 Oct 09

In one way I'm lucky that I very, very rarely use my Hotmail account, and certainly not over the weekend in question. But it has made me question my password process. My memory is horrndous, so I only use about 6-8 different passwords for all the sites I register with, that way, if I can't quite remember it, I know I have a limited choice of options to try.
Anyone recommend a good way of securely keeping track of passwords? I think it's high time I improved my situation.

Chris the Ancient 08:16 06 Oct 09

I use this...

click here

Quickbeam 08:41 06 Oct 09

I was expecting a link to your secret password;)

Picklefactory 08:45 06 Oct 09

Thanks, I'll have to check that later, that site gets filtered out out on our pain in the **** Trend system at work, apparently it's classed as games, makes a change from all the engineering stuff I try to access that gets classed as weapons, so I can't look at those either.

Stupid Trend

octal 12:46 06 Oct 09

Thanks Chris the Ancient, but it's no good for Linux, I have got a wallet management tool that does the same thing which I can use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac