How many NHS managers does it take.............

gengiscant 10:18 20 Aug 10

..to respond to a formal complaint.

Due to negligent treatment which has left me with the inability to swallow anything other than prescribed liquid food I decided to issue a formal complaint against the Doctors involved. First I needed my medical notes,which under the Data Protection Act 1998. Although it is supposed to take no more than 40 days to issue the records I am still trying to get parts since September 2009. Because of the long delay I have also issued a formal complaint against the legal services dept which handles medical records requests.

Which brings me to my post heading. The amount of people you have to deal with within the NHS is quite bewildering. So far I have dealt with:

A Development Manager.
A Management Team Administrator.
A Contract Center Manager.
A Project Manager.
A Complaints Manager.
A Director of health.
A Interim Complaints Manager.
A Director of Operations.
A Patient Liaison Adviser.
A Chief Social Work Officer.

Yet the offical response to my complaints, which you are supposed to receive within 20 working days,don't hold your breath, seems to have been written by people that actually had not a clue what my complaint was about and completely contradict what my medical records say. It had dates times and even hospitals I was supposed to be in but was not.

Do we need all these people? If we do, what do they all do? I did ask a couple of them,but was none the wise after their answer.

johndrew 10:35 20 Aug 10

The more people involved the less responsibility each needs to shoulder and the more chance there is of the complainant being confused and giving up.

This ploy is used by many large organisations that wish to minimise the risk of accepting any responsibility for their actions which may mean 'paying out'.

Often the threat of legal action if they fail to comply with the law is sufficient to cause them to respond. In other cases involvement of the press resolves the situation as they will often use their lawyers on your behalf and take the 'story' as their payment. This latter is hated by organisations as it puts the spotlight firmly on the actions taken for non-compliance.

gengiscant 10:46 20 Aug 10

I had reached the same conclusion about the less responsibility bit.

I have turned to my MP and have been very impressed with the help she has given. My emails are usually answered within the hour,OK that her office manager,still, and my letters are also answered quickly. Once an MP is involved, matters seem to step up a gear.

One great excuse for a late delivery of a letter was its the Royal Mails fault. When I eventually got the letter it had been dated by the sender a full week after it had supposedly been posted.

At the moment no threats have been issued by me of any sort, legal or otherwise. I just plod away with well researched letters written with as much medical terminology as I can, it stops them trying to baffle me with medical jargon.

Strawballs 11:11 20 Aug 10

It will only get worse now with all the upcoming cuts because you can bet your lifes savings it won't be managers that get the cuts it will be frontline staff!!!!!

ella33 11:25 20 Aug 10

It is terrible that they are not taking this seriously. I feel that serious complaints of this nature should have a person in the NHS to help and advise the person, not be threatening to someone who has been left like this. I think you should get legal aid? Can you contact Citizen's Advice?

gengiscant 11:53 20 Aug 10

Already have,an Independent Advice & Support Service officer (funded by the NHS seemingly) doesn't seem to be very independent,and like the various managers listed above seems to be away from the office on training courses of one sort or another very often with no backup cover,so its is difficult to keep the momentum going,which I believe suites certain parties.
There is a definite agenda of trying to persuade you to give up and withdraw any complaint.

Getting legal aid is difficult and even the ambulance chasers are not particularly interested in the more complex cases.

johndrew 12:00 20 Aug 10

I like the idea of using your MP. I had forgotten them and from media reports they often get results.

Another person who often gets results is the BBC investigator Dominic Littlewood click here who may well take up this sort of challenge. A thought?

onthelimit2 12:23 20 Aug 10

Go straight to the the department of health and find the minister who runs it and lodge your complaints in writing to him or her as it seems the hospital managers are trying their best to fob you of and hoping you wont pursue this.

Make sure you date every time you contacted the hospital managers and who you spoke to and tell the minster what you are aware of and how things have not been forthcoming, hopefully the mister will kick some ***

gengiscant 12:23 20 Aug 10

Thanks for the suggestion, but, and I know it is irrational as I have never met him, I cannot stand him.

onthelimit2 12:24 20 Aug 10

It seems they are a Multi disciplinary team a bit like passing the buck passing you case around in circles and dealing with the real issues.

michaelw 12:30 20 Aug 10

A Development Manager.
A Management Team Administrator.
A Contract Center Manager.
A Project Manager.
A Complaints Manager.
A Director of health.
A Interim Complaints Manager.
A Director of Operations.
A Patient Liaison Adviser.
A Chief Social Work Officer.

Wow, that's a lot of pay between them and it doesn't look like they're earning their money, either. If you take a mean salary for all ten, guessing a pay grade of about 7 - 8 @ an average of 40,000k pa, that's £400,000. How many more nurses could we get for that money?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now