How many dreams?

Z1100 18:25 04 Jun 07

I am writing my dreams down for my therapist, she is nosey like that ;) but for the past few nights I have woken up from dreams and written them down. Last night I had three. I wrote each one down before going to sleep again...

So, am I a bit odd with two or three dreams in a night and a dream almost every night?

btw, it takes three to five A5 pages to log them too...

Hanx!
K.

Forum Editor 18:32 04 Jun 07

even those who say they don't. Dreaming occurs during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, and that occurs about once every 90 minutes or so throughout the night. The final period of REM lasts longer than the others, and can sometimes go on for 45 minutes or so. That's when you are likely to have the dreams that you remember when you wake in the morning.

Dreams can be indicators of your state of health, both mental and physical, which is no doubt why your therapist is showing an interest.

FungusBoggieman 18:38 04 Jun 07

One-third of your lives is spent sleeping.
In an average lifetime, you would have spent a total of about six years of it dreaming. That is more than 2,100 days spent in a different realm!
Dreams have been here as long as mankind. Back in the Roman Era, striking and significant dreams were submitted to the Senate for analysis and interpretation. Everybody dreams. EVERYBODY! Simply because you do not remember your dream does not mean that you do not dream.
Dreams are indispensable. A lack of dream activity can mean protein deficiency or a personality disorder.We dream on average of one or two hours every night. And we often even have 4-7 dreams in one night. Blind people do dream. Whether visual images will appear in their dream depends on whether they where blind at birth or became blind later in life. But vision is not the only sense that constitutes a dream. Sounds, tactility, and smell become hypersensitive for the blind and their dreams are based on these senses.
Five minutes after the end of the dream, half the content is forgotten. After ten minutes, 90% is lost.The word dream stems from the Middle English word, dreme which means "joy" and "music".
Men tend to dream more about other men, while women dream equally about men and women.Studies have shown that our brain waves are more active when we are dreaming than when we are awake.
Dreamers who are awakened right after REM sleep, are able to recall their dreams more vividly than those who slept through the night until morning.Physiologically speaking, researchers found that during dreaming REM sleep, males experience erections and females experience increased vaginal blood flow - no matter what the content of the dream. In fact, "wet dreams" may not necessarily coincide with overtly sexual dream content. People who are giving up smoking have longer and more intense dreams.
Toddlers do not dream about themselves. They do not appear in their own dreams until the age of 3 or If you are snoring, then you cannot be dreaming.Nightmares are common in children, typically beginning at around age 3 and occurring up to age 7-8.In a poll, 67% of Americans have experienced Deja Vu in their dreams, occurring more often in females than males.
Around 3% of adults suffer from sleep apnea. This treatable condition leads to unexplained tiredness and inefficiency.

as i understand it, and shall probably be corrected. dreams are not realtime, you can dream a days happenings in a split second, you only remember a fraction of dreams and not in rapic eye movement (paralysed) sleep, and lack of this sleep can cause mental and physical health problems. i dream of vodka everynight occasionally whisky, but usually vodka and for a split second when i wake i feel very hung over.
i havnt drank for nearly two years, and have these dreams everynight, at the end of the day i find it much easier not to delve into the whys and wheres and keep them simply as dreams. if i read or write music just before sleeping i usually know it note perfect for a very long time, i think this is because the brain processes the information correctly (bit like a defrag!!)
i think if you remember all your dreams clearly you are not sleeping very deeply, alcohol stops you from attaining the correct sleep, you may pass out and appear dead all night, however, you are always tired and this caused myself many problems.
it was in fact very, very strange getting used to sleeping correctly and waking up tired when i stopped drinking.
probably the biggest load of rubbish you've heard in a long time, just my thoughts!

Z1100 22:49 04 Jun 07

that would be me and that would be why I have five pages of text about one dream! She is gonna love me ;)

Whole days in a second! I swear that my dreams are all real time. They are extremely real to me and in a lot of them I would argue that I (as in real me) can actually manipulate the dream state in order to explore things I see in the dream.

Sounds more like an acid trip, but I don't do (un-prescribed) drugs and three beers a month is the alcohol intake.

It is an interesting point about 'everyone' dreams including toddlers! I am amazed by that fact.

I think that since she asked me to write down my dreams I must be 'aware' when asleep and that is why I wake up at AM to write the first one down, then 4.40 then AM or whatever time it is. You should try writing 3 pages of rough notes when you wake up before your normal time... It reminds me of early school writing. ;)

And yes, the therapist is certainly looking for clues in my dream state, though why she would think any are in there is beyond me as I am not shy in telling her my horror stories. Maybe she doesn't want to hear them, maybe they make her anxious, just kidding.

I think I shall just keep dreaming then, some are absolute corkers!

Hanx!
K.

Sethhaniel 14:03 05 Jun 07

A trick from the Carlos Castaneda books is if in a dream you can get to look at your own hand you can then take control of the dream and experience a more vivid sensation -it works ;)

MichelleC 14:18 05 Jun 07

Dreaming is the way our unconscious minds reconcile problems.

Whether they're unresolved issues from the past or present time (and the two can intertwine) our minds are still working on the problems at some level when we're asleep.

If we didn't dream we'd probably go bonkers because there would be no way for our minds to put things in their proper place and be able to resolve matters.

A therapist can tell a lot about the unconscious anxieties of someone from their dreams. Dream interpretation is a very individualistic perception, and a Freudian, Jungian or any other interpretation will all be different.

There is even a form of therapy based around dreamwork where the person trains themselves to experience a lucid dream-like state where they know that they're asleep in the actual dream. Then they can resolve the problem in that state.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…