How is it possible to 'know' what you don't know

jack 10:21 08 Oct 10

Headline in to-days New Scientist reads
'Ten years, 1200 new species and 9000 days at sea – but there are still at least 750,000 species waiting to be discovered'

Which begs the question[like Donald Rumsfeld's utterances]
How you we know what we do not know?

I will now go and read the piece - perhaps all will be revealed.

babybell 10:27 08 Oct 10

We have a monthly forecast which the board set each month that tells us how much work we should do the next month and how much profit we should make etc etc. We are then judged upon these targets.

Amongst all the contracts we currently have, right at the end, is the heading:

"Unknown Un-secured Works"

This basically means, work that we haven't yet won that we don't even know about yet, or even priced yet. But we still get a value against it.

So we are being judged on work that we don't even have or know about yet! Always a head scratcher for me that one.

Clapton is God 11:28 08 Oct 10

It's rather like the question I was once asked when checking in at an American airport:

"Has anyone put anything in your luggage without your knowledge?"

Er, if it was without my knowledge how would I know??

skeletal 12:47 08 Oct 10

I now know so much, I now know that I know nothing.

Skeletal

spuds 13:27 08 Oct 10

Its a bit like statistics - you either know, think you know, or there might be a possibility, depending of cause how those same statistics arose in the first stage.

I have sometimes been in a place that I have never visited previously, but thought "I have been here before". (Does that count?)

sunnystaines 14:22 08 Oct 10

not allowed to tell you its a need to know basis, if i told you i would have to shoot you, sorry.

lotvic 14:47 08 Oct 10

I'm going back to bed.

Woolwell 15:15 08 Oct 10

Do you know if you're going to have another heart pitter patter event?

Kevscar1 16:33 08 Oct 10

fourm member
How do they know they won't just find the same 5 new bugs they discovered in the first 1 sq m.
Sounds to me like a bid for more funding and the higher the number they come up with the more money they are liable to get.

Forum Editor 18:38 08 Oct 10

with absolute certainty is that there is so much more that we don't know.

It's that which drives the human race forward - curiosity, and the never-ending quest for more knowledge.

gardener 18:47 08 Oct 10

FE
And long may it continue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…