How far does this credit crunch reach?

Sapins 18:39 28 Jan 09

I recently redeemed some credit card points for vouchers which can be used at M&S, Comet, B&Q, Woolworth's and some other outlets. I gave one voucher to my Sister-in-Law and her husband who attempted to use it in B&Q to be told "We can't accept this as it has Woolworth's printed on it"!!! as well, I may add, as all the other outlets it can be spent at.

So, Woolworth's troubles are affecting other stores now?

Forum Editor 18:51 28 Jan 09

A voucher is a voucher, and if B&Q has committed to honouring it that's what its stores must do - it has nothing at all to so with whether the name 'Woolworths' is also printed on it.

I suggest a referral to B&Q head office:

0845 609 6688 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm Saturday & Sunday

Sapins 18:59 28 Jan 09

Thanks for that, will phone tomorrow.

oresome 20:13 28 Jan 09

I suspect the B&Q assistant has got it wrong.

The confusion has possibly arisen from the fact that B&Q, Comet and Woolworths used to belong to the same group. Discount vouchers issued to the employees of one company could be used to obtain a discount at one of the sister companies.

This practise continued for a while after the various companies split from the main group, but was eventually stopped.

A memo will have gone round to B&Q employees at some stage advising them not to accept discount vouchers from Woolworths or Comet employees and this is probably what the assistant was thinking of...........alternatively I could be completely wrong! (and not for the first time)

Forum Editor 00:11 29 Jan 09

What you say makes sense - I'm sure that's the answer.

Sapins 14:37 29 Jan 09

Sister-in-Law has been given a number to call, I'll wait to see the outcome of this.

Sapins 10:23 31 Jan 09

Contacted S-I-L, she has spent the voucher at Comet!!!

spuds 11:06 31 Jan 09

The store voucher schemes have come under scrutiny recently, with the demise of Woolworths and Zavvi administration.

The administrators of Woolworths refused to accept Woolworth 'paid-for' vouchers, and quite a lot of people lost out financially.

Apparently, these vouchers have no value in an administrators procedure!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos