How far back can you remember?

Cymro. 10:19 22 Feb 09

Personally I can certainly go back as far as the 1951 Festival Of Britain, have a child's memory of rationing on things such as confectionery and remember my parents talking about the War In Korea.

As I was born in 1946 this means that I can definitely remember as far back as when I was about five years old. In no way do I think this to be exceptional but I have not included memories that I am not sure of or things that were just related to me latter in life by my parents.

So how far back can you remember then? There must be once who can go back further than I can as there are those on this forum who are older than I am. But just how far back? Genuine reliable memories that you are sure are not just things that you were told about latter in life.

Forum Editor 10:33 22 Feb 09

imprint themselves vividly on our memories, and although many of them are big, momentous events some of them are quite trivial.

I can clearly remember tipping head-first into a model boating lake when I was four years old, and you might expect something like that to stamp itself on your mind, but why do I recall the flowers that grew around the front path of our house at about the same time in such detail?

The human mind is indeed a strange and wonderful thing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:36 22 Feb 09

Most of us can only remember back as far as 4 or five years old

For me its Andy Williams blasted out over the tannoy at Golden Sands caravan park in Mablethorpe.

anskyber 10:39 22 Feb 09

"I can clearly remember tipping head-first into a model boating lake" So did I at about aged 4. I have had an irrational fear of getting out of my depth in water ever since and I cannot swim.

I have patchy memories of things that I am told happened to me at age 3-4.

bremner 11:09 22 Feb 09

I can remember my first day at school aged 4 or 5, being asked who I wanted to sit beside.

Bapou 11:10 22 Feb 09

I remember the dog barking as the midwife left on the day I was born!!

Forum Editor 11:15 22 Feb 09

I share your irrational fear for the same reason, and although I can swim I don't enjoy the experience that much. Oddly enough I felt fine when I went snorkelling over a coral reef - lots of amazing stuff to distract me I suppose - but I took a rain cheque when my wife went swimming with dolphins and turtles in the Caribbean. The water was thirty feet deep and crystal clear, it looked as if you were about to jump off a roof.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:18 22 Feb 09

I can remember first day of Nursery when I was very shy. I remember hearing the word 'Hall' for the first time. My Mum asked me if I went in the Hall of the nursery. That resembled only as 'Hole' to me, so I nodded because I thought I'd have to go into a hole! Strange memories huh?

dagnammit 11:27 22 Feb 09

Vaguely, to about 7 or 8 years old. Comfortably about 9 or 10.

My late grandfather always claimed to remember his first steps at just short of 2 years old.

MAJ 11:33 22 Feb 09

Some memories from that age do seem to imprint themselves on one's memory. Like many Irish famalies ours was a large one, a large and very happy one with aunties, uncles, cousins and grandparents at every turn, these seemed to have made my early childhood very remomorable. I can definitely remember most summers in the country, at my grandmother's house and at my favourite great-aunt's house, from I was less than 4 years old, I still have the pictures to prove it. There's one particular photo of me standing on top of a pile of sand with my uncle's spade (it was huge), I was just over 3 years old and I remember climbing up the sand pile to get my picture taken. One more memory I have is of poking a hole in the hood of my pram on a local street while it was raining, I was beside a telephone box at the time, the telephone box was just removed a few years ago and replaced with one of those god-awful phone kiosks. I could have been about 4 or 5 though. Ahhhhhhh memories....

DippyGirl 12:15 22 Feb 09

Sometimes as far back as breakfast...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced