How easy is it to read bar codes?

Sapins 10:16 27 Feb 07

I have just received a letter from Santander bank in Spain re dividends and they have enclosed a postcard inviting me to contact them. This card has a bar code and they state " There is no need to send us your details as we will be scanning this personalised card"

So, how easy would it be for someone to scan this bar code if they got hold of the card?

Kate B 10:28 27 Feb 07

Why bother? It's junk mail. Straight in the bin. The barcode probably has your name and address and some kind of reference number to identify which database they got your name from, that's all.

Rigga 10:50 27 Feb 07

Anyone with a reader can scan the barcode, but all they would get is a number.

Not any personal details.

That would be held by Santander bank and the number would point to your details, usually on a database.

An outsider would just get the number and without the lookup database could get no further information.

HTH. R.

Sapins 11:01 27 Feb 07

Thanks for your replies.

laurie53 19:56 27 Feb 07

Never put anything with any sort of number or reference straight in the bin. There are vast resources out there trying to decode such numbers.

If it's any more than that which can be obtained from the telephone directory or electoral roll, shred it first

Laurie

Jak_1 20:29 27 Feb 07

Kate B
'Why bother? It's junk mail. Straight in the bin. The barcode probably has your name and address and some kind of reference number to identify which database they got your name from, that's all.'

I don't know if you recieved one Kate but it is actually about information for shareholders to attend a shareholders meeting in Santander. I have same letter.

interzone55 20:43 27 Feb 07

Santander own the Abbey bank

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced