How does one choose a tradesman.

jack 08:57 18 Nov 10

As mention in previous posts I am looking for an electrician to carry out a total house rewire.
Looing in the YP and others seemed to me to be a place of potential pitfalls
So personal recommendation then
Many names were put forward by folk that had used this individual or that - so far only one has made a response - and he- failed to show at the appointed time to discuss the job.
So back to the search
I was recommend to look at
click here
And the responses flooded in within an hour 12 responses
All with details of qualifications and job feedback etc.
Some came in with a fixed price schedule- all in the same price band
The question now is who to select for first look see.

My initial thought was a guy that is based/lives in the area- but is that a criterion to work on?
Ask a couple to name a job I could go see perhaps?
Where does one start?

Quickbeam 09:05 18 Nov 10

Word of mouth every time.

carver 09:19 18 Nov 10

Which have started a scheme so that members can recommend trades people to other members, don't know if you are a member but it's worth looking at, or ask friends who might be a member to do it for you.

Or do as Quickbeam has suggested, but ask the electrician about previous jobs he has done and contact them for their comments, if he is any good he will want to show off any previous work and if he or she gets offended stay clear.

birdface 09:22 18 Nov 10

Word of mouth every time.
Yes I would go with that we usually use the same tradesmen that the rest of the family use.
That way you usually get a quicker response and probably a bit cheaper.
If there is an electrical Equipment retailer in your area it is always worth paying a visit.
Ask behind the counter if they can recommend anyone that will do a house rewire at a reasonable price.
You may also find a board with calling cards pinned to it with tradesmen offering their services.

lotvic 09:23 18 Nov 10

jack, it's a nightmare trying to find one willing and able.

Have same sort of problem trying to find tradesmen.
Either 'too busy' don't turn up, do turn up then no quote forthcoming, and these are from word of mouth recommendations.
I only wanted a new gas fire but fireplace 'hole' is wrong size, doesn't meet current regs etc so I foolishly thought get a builder to alter it. You would have thought it would be simple. Fat chance.

natdoor 09:28 18 Nov 10

You could try checkatrade, click here In our area there is also a council run service which is similar. There may be one in your area but you need to check with them. Of course, personal recommendation is beat but I have been satisfied with tradespeople from those sites.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 18 Nov 10

Age Concern do a tradesmen recommendation service.

look for the ones in your area click here

spuds 11:06 18 Nov 10

Reference to the main title, and I would say that nowadays it nearly impossible, unless you have used someone previously or know someone that as.

Even the once reliable Polish craftsmen now seem to have gone back home.

Ask the local council if they have a 'vetted' list, or possibly advice.

sunnystaines 11:55 18 Nov 10

i use this as recommended by trading standards

click here

KremmenUK 12:27 18 Nov 10

I use the Which Local service as mentioned by carver.

Picklefactory 12:55 18 Nov 10

"Even the once reliable Polish craftsmen now seem to have gone back home."

You need to very careful with those where electrical or plumbing work is involved. My GF is Polish, I will add, so I am certainly in no way anti-Polish.
I have bitter experience of using one to gut and refit my bathroom and it became evident he had no knowledge of British regs or even certain plumbing systems. Ended up sacking him before the job got into irreversible problems, and it cost me a fair bit to get it corrected and much heartache and time. I may just have been unlucky in my choice but.........

Personally I have since found some good people on click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…