How do you get rid of Mice?

jakimo 13:17 06 Apr 10

I'm in the 4th week of being under attack from these pests. I haven't actually seen any,just their droppings or traces of fur....Ive sealed most of the gaps created by the central heating pipe layout,and tried sprung traps\humane tunnel traps\glue pads and poison,all to no avail,so two weeks ago I called in a professional who laid down what he claims to be a special poison,but no results to date

In the meantime all working surfaces have to be cleaned before use,and bedding changed every day,PC turned off in my absence in case these super-mice read what Ive been saying about them.

ANY PRACTICAL ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

wiz-king 13:41 06 Apr 10

Most poisons are slow acting and take about a week to work so you wont get instant results. If you have a UV light you could put down some washing powder where their run is and trace their footsteps to find the entrance hole.
Get a cat?

birdface 13:51 06 Apr 10

I had some up in my loft and phoned the council up.
Although I had bought the house they still sent someone .
Put some bait up in the loft and came back a few more times until the bait was no longer getting eaten.
I asked how they got up there in the first place and he just said any little hole out side and the mice may get in that way and up through the cavity wall.I was not that sure as we have a single chap staying next door and I thought it might have been coming from there.
Anyway whether I was just lucky or not The council never charged me for it.
We keep a couple of noise protectors that you plug into the electric socket that is supposed to keep mice and insects away.
Not sure if they work or not but have a couple upstairs just in case.
They let out a high pitched noise that humans cannot hear.

jakimo 13:56 06 Apr 10

Ive already carried out all that you suggest,but the kitchen cabinets are a problem as they have a cavity behind them and no access,the wall mounted kitchen cupboards have backs so no problem there.

what mystifies me is that I have 18 baited glue pads (peanut butter) distributed yet they completely ignore these...I was advised not to seal all the gaps so that the mice can take the poison back to their nest,theory is OK but still got mice on patrol.

jakimo 14:08 06 Apr 10

wiz-king:--UV good idea,considered a cat,would be last resort

buteman:--Council only give advice,laid poison in loft\noise protectors being investigated,lots of different opinions on these

JYPX 14:25 06 Apr 10

Eletronic devices don't work - they will however deter ants so if anyone has an ant problem one of these will solve your problem instantly!
Cat may the best bet. If you decide against that you may have to accept that there will be some sort of mouse problem for as long as you live in the property.
If I were in your position my next move would probably be to try a deterrent. Mice don't like peppermint.Perhaps you can think of a way to put a small amount in the void you have mentioned or just leave some cotton wool balls dipped in peppermint dotted around the room.
click here

Big L 266 14:29 06 Apr 10

Hello.

I once had this problem of how to get rid of mice.I solved it one day by inviting the mother-in-law over for the weekend. As soon as the mice heard that,they flung themselves straight into the mousetraps!

Sorry.....

Big L 266

jakimo 14:29 06 Apr 10

but when you are aware of the disease they spread its quite disconcerning when you find their droppings in the spout of the electric kettle,or find that they are sharing your bed,..(but the ultimate is when they nudge you in the ribs and tell you to move over)

jakimo 14:30 06 Apr 10

but when you are aware of the disease they spread its quite disconcerning when you find their droppings in the spout of the electric kettle,or find that they are sharing your bed,..(but the ultimate is when they nudge you in the ribs and tell you to move over)

jakimo 14:36 06 Apr 10

I like your humour

Unfortunately,mine is no longer around to perform such a useful service

ronalddonald 14:41 06 Apr 10

I know jakimo borrow Big L 266 mother in law

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…