How do you create and use online passwords?

PC Advisor 09:56 23 Apr 14

Which of the following best describes your approach to creating and using online passwords?

Let us know in our poll

Poll: How do you create and use online passwords?

spuds 10:31 23 Apr 14

I have just ticked 'none of the above' and got a 20% rating, so it would be interesting to see the final score!.

All I can say, that it is a good idea for some websites that have a 'Forgotten Password', because as time goes on, I am getting more forgetful, and trying to remember a highly unique set of varied passwords would now be impossible?.

john bunyan 12:25 23 Apr 14

Spam, spam spam on so many threads. Go away, Aleeza1.

lotvic 13:07 23 Apr 14

I have a 'little notebook' that I write them down in. It is impossible to memorise all of them, I have enough trouble remembering my PIN and my phone number. Luckily for me the Taxi drivers know where I live so I manage to arrive home (most of the time).

onthelimit1 14:18 23 Apr 14

I've recently changed to using the initial letters of words from my favourite songs with some random numbers. Not sure how secure it is, but easier to remember!

carver 18:27 23 Apr 14

I have the same idea as lotvic and write them in a note book, make a 9 or 10 figure password for every account but add abstract figures at beginning and end of password.

Forum Editor 19:05 23 Apr 14

I have a system that involves place names. I use two or three, and vary them according to places to which I travel. The place-names are alpha numeric, so London (for instance) might be l0n60n, and have additional numbers at the end. The names change at regular intervals, according to a separate system that I carry in my head, and for additional safety all of them are encrypted and stored on a password-protected memory stick in a password protected software utility.

So far, after many years, I haven't forgotten a password, or had anything compromised, so I'm reasonably confident that everything is secure enough for my needs - I'm not safeguarding any national secrets.

csqwared 19:58 23 Apr 14

Usually use combinations of parts of my army number plus parts of regimental motto (not likely to forget either!!) regularly changed.

lotvic 20:25 23 Apr 14

FE, eventually we all reach that time when you start to input your PIN or password and your mind suddenly 'blanks'. It was quite embarrassing for me when that happened in Tesco's as it was busy and a big queue behind me. LOL

wee eddie 00:37 24 Apr 14

I use ex - girlfriend's sur names and the number of the car she rode in. The cryptic clue is, of course, her Christian name. Luckily I only ever had 2 with the same Christian name so I use ones pet name

Forum Editor 07:47 24 Apr 14

lotvic

Yes, it's weird when that happens. With me it's two things - either my own mobile number, which I have had for more years than I can remember, or a credit card PIN. I'm OK until I start to think about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5