How do you choose a security suite?

PC Advisor 16:20 03 Aug 09

How do you choose between the various PC security software brands? Vote in the poll in the left-hand navigation bar, and discuss the results here.

Chris the Ancient 16:27 03 Aug 09

Looks fairly well-balanced when only two of us have voted ;-))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 03 Aug 09

Why pay when you can get it all free?

I find out from reviews (and our excellent helproom) what free stuff is best then try it out.

Never had a problem for years using free stuff and common sense (which is also free.

:0)

Woolwell 16:45 03 Aug 09

Don't think that I can tick anything. I tend to research which is the best but in this case was swayed by the fact that I got Kaspersky free with Barclays. Strictly speaking this isn't "free software" and I don't always look for free software. I don't always go with the cheapest offer although this was the case this time.
Would have liked a box marked "provided by ISP or online banking".

sunnystaines 16:46 03 Aug 09

started off back with first pc in 1995 came with 1 year norton firewall & AV got used to it, after couple of years tried zonealarm not sure if its still around, but crashed my pc causing reformat, did not get on well with AVG just did not like it, Avast was OK but prefered norton as I knew my way round it so well and knew how to sort its faults that came up now then.

now use norton 360 ver3 and well impressed with its speed and performance especially after going through the sluggish days of norton.

always cleaned 100% of the few inections I have had, not sure if the free ones are so good in that field.

DieSse 17:12 03 Aug 09

I chose Eset many years ago, as it was touted as the best in reviews, tests (eg the Virus Bulletin) and forums. Have stuck with it ever since (and upgraded to the Security Suite from the AV as soon as it was released). I can only say it's always performed flawlessly without any hint of slugging performance. So I've stuck with it. Even the anti-spam works pretty well.

Would I change to a free AV/Firewall - no chance - just look at what they don't cover, or how they affect performance to see why. Small beer, the money to have peace of mind with expensive data.

I do, as a backup, also use two free anti-malware programs, but they only ever find the most innocuous stff.

Forum Editor 18:41 03 Aug 09

but I confess that I tend to stick with good old AVG - the paid for version.

I like the simplicity of it all, and the fact that it (with a bit of help from me) has kept my computers virus-free for years.

Bingalau 19:04 03 Aug 09

I'm on Cable Broadband and the security comes with it "Virgin Broadband PC Guard" It updates itself more or less every day and has been very efficient.

rawprawn 19:22 03 Aug 09

I get Kaspersky free of charge which is offered as standard to online customers.

rawprawn 19:29 03 Aug 09

Oh dear, missed saying Barclays, I would never make the grade as an advertising exec

Kaacee 19:58 03 Aug 09

I have tried several free AV's, Kapersky free trial crashed my machine and only way to get up and running was to uninstall it, Avast was always asking me to use paid for version, only one i would use now is good old AVG FREE, still in my opinion one of the best around.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017