How do we protect our Elderly from:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 31 Oct 07

see Salesmen 10th Oct
click here

My parents were "talked" into buying a bed by one of these salesmen.

Must sign today in order to get NHS to pay £4000 towards cost.

Yes there is a 7 day cooling off period to get a written letter to them to cancel, However Can't cancel when in receipt of the goods.

The FASTEST delivery service I've ever seen, sign in afternoon, phone to confirm delivery the next morning, delivery on the 3rd day.

**** the deposit cheque hasn't even had time to clear yet!
But they want the balance on delivery.

Could use some choice words but the FE would delete thread also don't want to put the Forum in court.

Contract is all legal and above board but the Buyer doesn't even get time to get over the sales pitch before the whole things done and dusted and there is no going back.
It appears you have bought something you don't really need for a price well above what you could have bought on High street if you had time to consider.

How do we protect our Elderly???
How do you cancel?
How do you get your money back?

rdave13 20:51 31 Oct 07

CAB I think. You have a legal right to the cooling off period even if goods delivered but not unpacked.

Bingalau 20:58 31 Oct 07

Cancel the deposit cheque and then consult with Citizen's Advice Bureau. Pay them nothing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 31 Oct 07

Unpacked, installed and tested by delivery men to get round that one.

Had a "nice chat" on the phone with the Sales manager tried to keep my cool.
Told him to cancel got parent to confirm, as calls are recorded.
He has recorded verbal contract accepting delivery date, therfore as he puts it confirming the signed form done by salesman on day of sale.

He phoned parents back hour later to put the pressure on, think he was a little suprised to get me answering again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 31 Oct 07

Phone bank cancelled cheque

Written cancellation letter signed and being sent by recorded delivery tomorrow as proof of cancellation within the seven days.
Hopefully I got there fast enough to have done something.

Would hope this would the end of it but have little faith. See phone call on my last post.

Expect the phone to be ringing tomorrow to apply more pressure and possibly another vist of the salesman while I'm away at work.

Not sure how to get past the goods delivered (therefore used) scenario.

rdave13 21:21 31 Oct 07

I still think CAB should be the first port of call. They'll put you in the know of your legal rights and help out with getting other organizations involved.

youtruth 21:43 31 Oct 07

Fruit Bat /\0/\, you have to study the conditions stated within the 7 days cooling off part of the contract.

Some use the trick that the goods have to be sent back to them unused and within the seven days.

Trading Standards will confirm that buyers should be aware that not all contracts taken out in the home are subject to a cooling off period.

Consumer Direct is available on a single national telephone number - 08454 04 05 06 - from 0800 – 1830 Monday to Friday, and 0900 – 1300 Saturday, excluding bank holidays and public holidays.

click here
click here
click here

Hope this will help.

youtruth 21:49 31 Oct 07

This link is for after you buy click here

Brumas 22:14 31 Oct 07

Here's me thinking cowboys rode horses, not sold beds!!
Seriously I do hope, through all the legal channels, that you do get satisfaction and that your Parents do not get too traumatised over the whole sorry episode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:17 31 Oct 07

Thanks for the link.
but upset a little as is supposed to be personalise to fit.

However see delevery,
in 3 days for a made to measure bed?

Will get onto CAB ASAP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 31 Oct 07

Thanks

Again the title of my thread
How do we protect our Elderly (vulnerable)
against this sort of immoral selling technique.

I thought my mother was too "canny" to fall for something like this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…