How daff can they get

jakimo 10:50 16 Mar 11

Two young girls 10 & 6 were threartened with arrest by two constables for picking daffodils...at £740 per week this is hardly a value for money service

click here

jakimo 11:24 16 Mar 11

Even the BBC at 10.30am don't agree with you,
you make these statements,but whats your source

by the way the Mail also carried the story,that must really upset you,keep taking the tablets

finerty 11:39 16 Mar 11

So its against the law to pick a flower a daffodil now remember when you were a kid im sure some of picked flowers even from your own garden.

Criminal damage by pick a flower, or criminal damage if you vandalise a car.

Four years old i know the police a gave a warning yet they didn't have to wait 20 minutes to do so.

Why don't parks have rules on display ie your not allowed to pick flowers etc etcv. in the old days dogs must have license and the old one don't walk on the grass or in these words: keep of the grass.
No feeding the pigeons or the fish.

Whats happened to old fashioned common sense and where is the wisdom of police

Woolwell 11:40 16 Mar 11

It often helps to read the local papers when these issues are raised click here.

In this report it is stated that the girls picked bunches of 70 to 80 flowers. If that is correct then the parents should certainly have stopped the girls continuing. I can understand why the councillor called the police. It is quite difficult for a lone man to intervene with young children present.

smartpoly 12:05 16 Mar 11

Guy Walters of the Telegraph shows the story in another way.

click here

tullie 12:06 16 Mar 11

The parents were threatened with arrest,not the kids.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:20 16 Mar 11

There has just been an interview on the radio with a person who actually saw the event. The appealing brats had picked 70-80 flowers and the parents were abusive when asked to stop it. Slap the brats and fine the parents but that is just me.

G

jakimo 13:03 16 Mar 11

'It often helps to read the local papers when these issues are raised.'

would agree, more likely to get nearer the truth than a national press report.
Why didn't the councillor have a quiet word with the parents rather than phone the police,and was it really necessary to send two police officers over such a petty incident,
(phone the police about a burglary in progress and see how long you wait,55 minutes in my case)

Quoting Jack Straw 'The police quite enjoy being in the station in the warm' unquote,and paid £740 a week for doing so, was it because councillor Adams made the call

peter99co 17:34 16 Mar 11

Why don't parks have rules on display ie your not allowed to pick flowers etc etcv. in the old days dogs must have license and the old one don't walk on the grass or in these words: keep of the grass.
No feeding the pigeons or the fish.

Two reasons probably.

They would get stolen by metal thieves or if someone fell over a sign they would sue.

Third reason

They would have to be approved and paid for by ratepayers.

Fourth reason

They would be ignored by most people who think they know better.

They where planted for the people to see not to be picked and she knew well that was the case.

Forum Editor 17:47 16 Mar 11

and where is the wisdom of police"

Well said - what happened to the mother's old fashioned common-sense is that she obviously didn't have any, otherwise she would have stopped her ill-behaved children from picking dozens of daffodils in a park.

Anyone with a grain of that old-fashioned common-sense knows that parks aren't there so people can harvest the flowers that are paid for with public money. Every council in Britain passed a bye-law prohibiting the picking of park flowers decades ago, and every child should be taught the basics of respect for public property by its parents.

According to a witness this mother was abusive to the Police when they pointed out what she should have known anyway, and that's when they probably lost patience with her, and mentioned arrest.

It's the mother who was at fault, not the police, and she deserved everything she got. It shouldn't be necessary for Police Officers to have to teach a grown woman the basics of good behaviour, but it seems as if it is. I feel for the children.

Quickbeam 18:00 16 Mar 11

When I was a lad the Parkie would have just clipped me 'round the lugs and that would've been an end to it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…