How is this for customer service

al's left peg 20:36 21 Nov 08

I feel I had to let the forum know about this.
Last week I attemted to remove the wheel on my Renault Scenic, and found that the key for the locking wheel bolt was broken. I took a trip down to the Renault dealership to get a new key. The guy on the parts desk says. "Oh you cant buy them, you have to phone Italy or fax Italy with the code so they can send you a new one". I told him I did not recieve a code when I purchased the car so could they just remove the locking wheel bolts and I would put the ordinary bolts back on. "You will have to book the car in, and it will cost £15.00 a wheel (£60.00 total) plus £37.00 for new locking bolts and a key". I asked if they could not just whip the car in and take the four bolts out for me and I would sort new locking bolts myself. " No that's not possible I am afraid, it's got to be booked in". So they wanted the car booked in to remove 4 bolts at a cost of £15.00 each and could not do it till next Monday.
After a bit of researching on the net, I found the company and e mailed them on the off chance they could help. Next morning e mail back asking me to check various parts of the car for the code and stuff. I told them I could not find the code, so resigned myself to getting ripped off by Renault UK. Next day another e mail from Italy asking. "Can you take some photos of the bolts and the key and send them to me?"
Result, she has identified the code and is sending me a new key free of charge in the next 48 hours. Why can't we do this sort of service in the UK? Instead of trying to screw money out of you at every occasion.

Monoux 21:45 21 Nov 08

Another example - as if any more were needed - of why it's called rip off Britain

bluto1 21:53 21 Nov 08

Let's be positive about this. That was Customer Service at it's best and to be applauded. I remember that kind of service here in Britain, way back.

rdave13 22:00 21 Nov 08

Maybe it's called 'rip off Britain' as most customers are a bit obnoxious before the complaint is put foreward properly?
'I know nothing' but if it happend to ME then look out attitude?
Don't really know but have always got further with being polite as a 'complaining' customer.

syylo 22:01 21 Nov 08

al's left peg this is a case of money over customer service, id DEFFO complain to the head office NOT the manager as that would be kept "In House" & i personaly wouldnt want that!

this might help although if i do complain to a company i email the director & 95% of the time i get a swift & "In my favour" reply..

click here

al's left peg 22:03 21 Nov 08

bluto1,

I think the girl in Italy could not of done more to help me, she has been fantastic. I still can't believe the guy at thr Renault dealer wanted £15.00 to take a bolt out!!!

rdave13 22:09 21 Nov 08

Well done and well done cough cough..Renault.

Renault...cough

Eh? Renault over FORD....Unbelievable...cough----

al's left peg 22:26 21 Nov 08

rdave13,

I know what you mean about customers being awkward, I know a girl who worked in a call centre on customer service and she chucked it in after 10 weeks because of the way customers opened up on her without warning. I must stress though that I was not like that in the dealership and always keep calm when dealing with people in those situations. I think the parts guy could see my reaction to £15.00 for one bolt to be removed though!
It must be something about Renaults though, I was quoted £550.0 for a cambelt replacement from the same place earlier this year. I hasten to add they did not get the work.

Cara2 22:32 21 Nov 08

Just a thought, though I may be wrong in this case ...

The key may well have broken because the locking wheel nut is seized into the hub assembly. It may have been overtightened or the threads on the bolt rusted.

We are an independent garage who pride ourselves on our servicing. This includes always removing
all the wheel nuts and lubricating - something not every garage will do. (One reason for a cheap service).

W

Cara2 22:32 21 Nov 08

Just a thought, though I may be wrong in this case ...

The key may well have broken because the locking wheel nut is seized into the hub assembly. It may have been overtightened or the threads on the bolt rusted.

We are an independent garage who pride ourselves on our servicing. This includes always removing
all the wheel nuts and lubricating - something not every garage will do. (One reason for a cheap service).

W

Cara2 22:41 21 Nov 08

Sorry, inadvertantly posted before I had finished.

I cannot tell you how much physical effort can be involved in removing these wheel nuts. My husband has spent many hours struggling - hours which he has not been able to charge for all for the sake of poor servicing in the past.

We have recently purchased a fairly expensive piece of kit to help in the process - this incurs purchasing replacement consumables.

I am not directly commenting on Renault or their charges - but it is so easy for lay people to critisise garages who are trying to survive in an industry which is changing beyond belief and is incredibly difficult to work in.

Anyway, well done you for your persistence. I hope in your case the wheel nuts are not seized as you may well end up with another broken key.

Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos