How can we persuade Microsoft....?

Pineman100 19:14 18 Sep 08

OK, I know the subject of Windows 7 has been dissected here on several occasions, but this week's announcement that the first beta is shortly going out to developers brings it into sharp focus again.

Vista's 'whizz-factor' was/is the aero interface. Vaguely pretty, yes, but it makes thumping great demands on hardware. And let's face it - Vista has probably been Microsoft's biggest flop (even more so than ME). The clamour to retain and/or 'downgrade' to XP has been deafening.

Apparently Windows 7's 'whizz-factor' is going to be Multitouch technology. Just who will that benefit? Do we really want to sit at our computers with our arms stretched out, making smear-marks on the screen (once we've bought yet another new computer with a multitouch-screen, of course)?

I can zoom, rotate and drag photos quite effectively with my mouse, thanks very much.

I don't want fancy stuff from an OS. I want speed. I want it to sit quietly behind a neat-looking interface and run my applications as quickly as possible - no bells, no whistles, just reliability and speed. And I don't want to be forced to buy a new computer every time Microsoft's latest OS arrives.

Can anyone tell me how to persuade Microsoft of this? Or should I just push off and learn to use Linux?

amonra 19:23 18 Sep 08

"And I don't want to be forced to buy a new computer every time Microsoft's latest OS arrives"

Of course you dont, neither does anyone else, BUT, Microsoft will ensure that we will eventually be forced to buy the pretty new version and the Bill Gates foundation will be pleased to announce a further substantial gift to the poor of the world !!!!!!
Let's get started with lessons on Linux.

lofty29 19:33 18 Sep 08

Manufacturers never take note of what the consumer really wants, sometimes they pretend to, but all consumers have to do is refuse to buy, I intend to plug on with my old xp for many years yet, and mr gates can stuff his fancy new systems. It would not be so bad if he offered a trade in against the older os's if he wants people to take up the new ones, I am afraid there are a lot of sheep out there who have to have the newest thing around, and swallow all the guff that the salesmen give out.

Forum Editor 19:41 18 Sep 08

for your comments, and with one hat on I'll be a part of it - an operating system should be something that never comes between user and computer, its job is to facilitate.

Now with my other hat I'll say that all businesses must continue to provide new products and/or services if they are to continue to grow, or even to survive. Microsoft, huge as it is, is no different in that respect, and for that reason I'm never surprised, or dismayed to see yet another version of Windows or Office, or some new technology coming from the company.

Microsoft's importance to the computer software and hardware industries is hard to overstate - the company drives the whole lot forward. Without Microsoft innovation we would not enjoy such a rich and varied computing experience, it's as simple as that. No other company even comes close to matching Microsoft's power to develop new technologies, and if we have to go through the inevitable round of discussions and dissections each time there's a new Windows version in development I think it's a price worth paying.

But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

JYPX 19:59 18 Sep 08

Pineman100 - That is so close to my own views....
I have thought for a while that they came up with the "wow factor" tv ads first, and then designed Vista backwards from the ad!!!
Now just imagine if they had started out with a very different ad...
"The world is changing. These are serious times - don't you need a serious operating system? Small footprint, low power useage, more battery life from your laptop."
"Microsoft Vesper - we never forget that Its Just an Operating System"
(Media centre version available on request)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 18 Sep 08

New one to be called "JANOS"

Just
A
Nother
Operating
System

Nothing "two faced" about it.

;0)

octal 20:31 18 Sep 08

"I don't want fancy stuff from an OS. I want speed. I want it to sit quietly behind a neat-looking interface and run my applications as quickly as possible - no bells, no whistles, just reliability and speed. And I don't want to be forced to buy a new computer every time Microsoft's latest OS arrives."

Exactly the reason why I use Linux, also I don't want to mess around with AV and anti spyware programs just cos every oik script kiddy wants to chance their arm attacking my machine.

lofty29 12:26 19 Sep 08

I was told some time ago, and I am not in a position to decide, by a college lecturer in IT, that to a large extent that OS system designers and programmers have become very lazy due to the memory and speeds of modern pc's, that they could with a bit more effort come up with much more efficient programmes than they do.

Pesala 12:44 19 Sep 08

For those new to the forum, take a look at this old thread.

click here

Pineman100 15:28 19 Sep 08

'I'm never surprised, or dismayed to see yet another version of Windows or Office, or some new technology coming from [Microsoft].'

I'm certainly never surpised, but it's a great shame that, nowadays, I'm dismayed.

Of course a writer of software wants to keep selling us new versions - it's their stock-in-trade. I don't have a problem with that.

Or rather I *wouldn't* have a problem with that if their targets were set in the right direction. If, instead of making every new version of Windows heavier, fatter and more demanding on hardware, they were to make it ever faster, then perhaps we would by now have arrived at that "Zero Time Computing" that Flecc wrote about, in the thread trawled up by Pesala.

tigertop2 16:26 19 Sep 08

OK, we haven't seen Windows 7 yet but from what little we do hear it is going to cost us money to get it, won't necessarily meet our expectations, and will possibly require new hardware.

I just want a better version of XP . One that tells me automatically how to deal with software glitches , does not require too much time to understand AND is secure as Microsoft can make it.

I don't want Linux. Having tried 3 versions it is definitely not for me.

Surely Microsoft have learned something from Vista's introduction but thereagain maybe not!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…