How can Microsoft be so stupid?

wee eddie 23:11 20 Jan 15

Do they really think that it's the cost of hardware and software that is the reason for Industry sticking with Windows XP?

The only business people that actually want the latest Kit are Poseurs and Advertising Bods, so that they can gain kudos over their peers.

For industry the main cost of a new OS is not the price of a new PC and definitely not the cost of replacing the software. This is all taken care of by the Budgeting Department. All equipment gets replaced in time.

What then is stopping Business upgrading. In my opinion it's the cost and disruption to the business caused by change and retraining.

If Microsoft really want to sell the next version of Windows, they should create a system that allows the Operator to work it exactly the same way as before, but will do the job twice as fast and be many times more secure. They can add a few bells and whistles if they wish but, to be honest, they are not really needed.

If my workforce could close their Windows XP PC, turn around, sit down in front of their new Windows 10 PC and carry on as if nothing had happened, the new system would sell like hotcakes.

Otherwise a change over from XP to 10 will be a logistical nightmare of training and incompatibilities. I don't blame Business for not playing ball.

wee eddie 00:10 21 Jan 15

The Motor Industry saw the light 70 years ago.

How long will it take Microsoft?

mole1944 05:50 21 Jan 15

Well said wee eddie,will windows drivers version whatever be compatible with my software/printer/camera/scanner e.t.c. mmmm,i for one will stick with my Vista/win7 operating system everything works. As i used to say about things at work "But it aint broke" back came the reply "Don't worry we'll soon fix it".

Forum Editor 08:00 21 Jan 15

I'm not sure what your point is here. Windows XP use has been declining steadily, and now only represents a small fraction of the overall desktop user-base. By far the biggest slice goes to Windows 7, which accounts for 58% of all Windows devices.

Statistics show that businesses have been abandoning Windows XP at at ever-increasing rate - it lost 6.7% of its business market share in one month (October) late last year, and it is predicted that by now the overall share will be down to a single percentage figure.

Windows XP is near death - you are wide of the mark with your argument.

Businesses have always been slow to adopt new Windows versions - exactly the same thing happened when XP was launched. Licence costs are a major factor when a company has six or seven thousand desktops on the go, and so is compatibility - thousands of companies run purpose-written software applications that are mission critical.

Quickbeam 08:54 21 Jan 15

"The Motor Industry saw the light 70 years ago."

I'm intrigued to know what parallel you're drawing with the motor trade?

My first car, a basic Hilman Imp was technically streets ahead compared with what my dad drove 30 years earlier, and compared to what's made today, was a positively non-tech car!

wee eddie 10:13 21 Jan 15

There are none so blind that cannot see.

When you get into a car, there is a Steering Wheel, either a Clutch, Brake and Accelerator or a Brake and Accelerator, a Speedometer, Fuel Gauge and Temperature Gauge. As new models come out there are cosmetic changes and occasionally new bits are added, but jump into any car built in the last 60 years and you will be familiar with the layout and be able to drive it. You will not need any extra training.

Of course, the cars themselves look and perform differently but, get into a 1960's Ford Prefect or a 2015 Ford Focus and you will be able to drive either without any training other that that which you required to pass your Driving Test.

So it should be with PCs. I couldn't care a toss about what goes on underneath the Bonnet, or on the MOBO, you should be able to, as it were, drive the latest model away from the Showroom.

That does not mean that the latest model cannot do new things. cars have changed out of all recognition in the last 60 years, but the Driver interface is the same.

wee eddie 10:28 21 Jan 15

FE: The License Cost is peanuts compared to the cost and dislocation of retraining several thousand Staff. Which can equate to many hundreds of Pounds per individual, and hours, sometimes days, away from their desk.

And that it taking no cognisance of the cost of sorting out errors, made while acclimatising to the new work practices.

Of course Companies are buying new PCs, with new OS's, but we have all heard the cries of anguish, from the workforce, as they do so.

XP is unsafe, it has to go, but that is not my point.

We all want faster, slicker, PCs. But we want to be able to sit down and use them. Just like that.

There is absolutely no need for the OS Industry to require us to go back to school, every time they bring out a new model.

Quickbeam 10:39 21 Jan 15

"There are none so blind that cannot see."

Sometimes the bloody obvious is the hardest to spot!

Batch 12:49 21 Jan 15

Too much focus is on the OS rather than the applications. The ideal OS would be pretty much transparent as far as the user is concerned.

All I want really out of an OS is for it to run the applications, be fast, secure and easy to use.

In principle I could see nothing wrong with the way I interacted using XP, although it some elements (e.g. security and performance) needed beefing (under the covers).

I moved to Win7, but made it look and feel pretty much like XP. Things that still niggle include:

• Not being able to get programs to run automatically with full admin rights (I use the Scheduled Tasks work around, which is a bit clunky)

• Libraries - just makes like more long winded

• Home groups (now disabled)

• Windows Explorer insisting on trying to understand object types rather than treating everything as files. For example, I don't want or need to see artists, track titles etc. in WE - that's what I've got a Media Player for. And Win7 wanting, by default, to show every object as an icon. I simply want ALL files to be listed (e.g. the WE details view) as a file showing Name, Type, Size, Date, Modified. Why do they make it soooo difficult and unfriendly.

And I further agree with wee eddie. Every new release of windows moves things around (for example the location of things in Control Panel has to be re-learnt with each new OS).

Quickbeam 13:11 21 Jan 15

Of course, just to be pedantic, the motor car analogy doesn't work too well with backwards user compatibility compared to if Windows 3.11 was reissued.

New drivers would have to be trained to use hand signals, correct use of the concept of the right of way, manually wound windows, in car ash trays and double de-clutch gear changes on non-syncromesh gearboxes...

Batch 15:29 21 Jan 15

Too put it another way......

The OS should be a means to an end. Microsoft has placed Windows on a pedestal such that it is the end in its own right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5