How can ADSL compete with cable broadband?

CurlyWhirly 19:29 14 Aug 05

I have just seen this article click here where it says that it is going to offer a 10mb cable service for only £35.

How can ADSL (in the UK this really means BT) compete with this?
I mean *if* cable was available in my area I would migrate to the cable service and I expect thousands of people feel the same.

I think that ADSL 2+ is being trialled now but even when it's released I don't expect I will be able to take advantage of it as I am under the impression that you need to be within 1.5 km of the exchange and as I live around 3km away this means I am out of luck.

Any comments anyone?

Mr Mistoffelees 20:42 14 Aug 05

You need to be within around 1.5KM of the exchange to get the best speed from ADSL2+. It is supposed to have greater range than the existing ADSL standard though so you should still see a big increase in speed. I'm looking forward to it as I live less than 600M from the local exchange.

LastChip 21:55 14 Aug 05

At the moment, I have a 512K service which has been promised to be upgraded to 1M free of charge.

Currently, I can download pages from almost anywhere in the world almost instantly. Presumably, this 1M service - if it ever comes :-( will be quicker. For me to upgrade to Cable means the upheaval of having an optical service connected and an increase in the monthly rent of around 50%.

What advantage am I going to get from that?

I'm not into streaming video or anything like that, so I think it's just a precursor to capture you into buying on-line streaming services. In other words, it's a sprat to catch a mackerel. But unless I can see distinct advantages, this little fish 'aint biting!

pj123 12:53 15 Aug 05

I am on cable BB at 2mb with NTL. My download speed varies quite a lot, (I suppose it depends on the time of day, or night, and the amount of people on the net at any one time).

It is usually around 75-80mbps but recently it has been as high as 256mbps and has also gone as low as 28mbps.

So, whether you are on 1mb, 2mb or 10mb I don't think you can rely on any speed being constant.

I am quite happy at 2mb considering it was upped from 600k at no extra cost.

CurlyWhirly 16:13 15 Aug 05

Mr Mistoffelees - 600 metres from the local exchange. You lucky person!
Whether *I* will be able to get a faster speed of service than my present 1mb using ADSL 2+ remains to be seen!
I sincerely hope so.

LastChip - I *am* interested in streaming videos and music so it looks like I will have to do without these services :0(

pj123 - Yes I think I would be happy with 2mb as well (if I could get it)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…