//some 3rd party need geo

How about some dedicated helpers

stalion 20:45 24 Oct 04

For the sp2 forum many questions are going un-answered,anyone?

VoG II 21:16 24 Oct 04

I would love to help (and do pitch in the odd comment). However the three upgrades that I have done have gone relatively painlessly so I have no experience of most of the problems.

In fact the only problem that I do have direct experience of is Security Center not recognising Norton.

Having read a lot of these problems I am firmly of the opinion that at least some of these problems are caused by:

- installing SP2 on systems with crud on them

- not closing down all non-essential running processes.

Be assured, I do look in from time-to-time and try to help if I can.

stalion 21:19 24 Oct 04

I also am looking in regularly but am not familiar with some of the problems posted.

JonnyTub 21:27 24 Oct 04

Hi guys,

must say i also had a pretty straightforward install, most of the problems i can see are caused by "crud" as VoG states. Microsoft did release a statement somewhere down the line which I and others have mentioned. The statement essentially say's (in my own words :-) ) " If you got a dirty system don't bother trying to install sp2, it simply won't work, clean it out with all the usual, and then try again".

If I remember correctly 90% of systems infected with the "crud" just won't take a proper sp2 install.

Maybe someone should start a thread entitled "read this before you install sp2" and the subject reading "before you even contemplate installing sp2, blah, blah"

Ah well.... you live and learn

JonnyTub 21:55 24 Oct 04

Well,i have started just such a thread.

It's Me 21:55 24 Oct 04

I can only relate what I did re the Mesh 'Fix', which is per Mesh's instructions anyway. But I keep trying Oh Yes Very Trying :))

gudgulf 22:14 24 Oct 04

Well I,ve joined your new thread......My own view is that you are correct and a really thorough check over of your system prior to SP2 is the right thing to do.

It's a pity then that Microsoft lets you go ahead and install such a major update pack without any words of caution.Remember when Xp came out? You got a check over of your system for incompatible hardware etc before it would let you install it.
That might be impractical with SP2 but a few words of warning and a few tips on how to prepare your system would have been a welcome addition to the cd.

jack 11:55 25 Oct 04

I have of late had a spate of comment from some of the younger folk, who complained that having installed SP2 theirs systems went to --er-- soft brown stuff.
When listening to what is described I have come to a conclusion.
Many of these systems are not 'legit'
I wondered then is it possible the crafty old MS put in a spoiler to sort out the outlaws?

JonnyTub 13:07 25 Oct 04

I had read that ms weren't going to stop illegal copies of xp having the sp2 installed, this was some time ago, more recently ms seem to have changed their mind's and apparently sp2 won't install on a illegal copy. So... which is is? can anyone offer confirmatrion???

JonnyTub 13:08 25 Oct 04

sorry about the typo's.

Dorsai 18:21 25 Oct 04

IF XP2 goes 'top over tail' on a non legit copy of XP, should anyone be too surprised?

And if it's deliberate, So What?

Can you blame MS for wanting to break their stuff that they have made and then, in effect, had stolen from them?

But in reply to the original thread question, i would help, but my only experience was that it went 'top over tail' the first time i tried it. Ended up with re-format, reinstall.

Second time round i SP2'd before i installed anything else. The only stuff i loaded after XP were those files that XP required to work enough to let me install SP2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…