How about a Forum 'Swop Shop'

Sethhaniel 11:42 03 Dec 04

as many pc users over time inherit a load of items that either lapse into disuse or outmoded etc -
ie Compact Flash cards and reader when your new camera takes SD - zip drives & disks - that have been superceded by memory stick

all probably of use to someone - who likewise has something they no longer use - to swop

any thoughts

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:52 03 Dec 04

I can hear the solicitors sharpening their pens as I write.

G

Sethhaniel 11:58 03 Dec 04

They might have some blunt ones to exchange ;)

pj123 12:31 03 Dec 04

Can't see it myself. If it is "old hat" for one person it's likely to be "old hat" for everyone?

Sethhaniel 12:39 03 Dec 04

Don't see car boot sales suddenly going out of fashion ;)
I've 'bartered' for 40 years - be it shotgus - for cassette recorders - or pc screens for cds
It is a way of life - but PCA is computer to computer related - not necesarily 'old hat' just read some of the 'Helpline' questions - people still have outdated equipment and would like a 'cheap' upgrade for the small cost of getting rid of something they no longer require ;)

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:26 03 Dec 04

...and I can see people firing off...'I got this graphics card from the PCA swop shop and it is dud,cost me £5 in postage - what are PCA going to do about this, it was my last £5 in teh world and Gandalf has trousered my memory stick?' They already do this over PCA tested computers..'I bought this computer which came top in PCA lab tests and it is naff..what are PCA going to do about this'?

G

watchful 14:31 03 Dec 04

It could possibly work if it was an actual 'swap' and no cash changed hands - excepting the postage of course, although that may not be required depending on people's locations.

pj123 15:27 03 Dec 04

Sethhaniel no, car boot sales are not going to go out of fashion. But I have bought many things from car boot sales and got them home and they don't work. Where do you take them back to?

For example: I have a lot of old Beta tapes but no Beta recorder to play them back. I bought a Beta recorder from a bootsale for £5. "good working order" It wasn't, it wouldn't play. Chucked it in the bin. Tried another £12. Just the same, wouldn't play. You do not have any protection buying from bootsales.

watchful, yes but that's the problem as GANDALF <|:-)> has pointed out. You pay £2, £3, £4 or whatever in postage and it doesn't work. Where do you go then, is PCA Forum going to take responsibility?

Sapins 17:07 03 Dec 04

We've already got a swop shop, I swop my problems for your answers;-)

Forum Editor 17:49 03 Dec 04

in the past, and I'm afraid our reaction now is the same as it was then - we have no plans to host a swap-shop. The legal implications make my blood run cold. For two people to swap anything they would have to be in direct contact, and by facilitating this contact we could be said to be acting as agents in the exchange. When (not 'if') things went wrong we might be drawn into a dispute, and we are not going to place ourselves in that position.

The answer's 'no' I'm afraid.

stalion 20:34 03 Dec 04

you will have to make do with your swop file;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…