HOT WATER BURNS LIKE FIRE

VoG II 08:54 20 Sep 06

Every year in the UK around 20 people die and 570 suffer serious scald injuries due to hot bath water. The under fives and the elderly are most at risk. The scarring is often horrendous and, despite extensive surgery, is often for life resulting is psychological trauma for the victim, parents and carers.

Fitting Thermostatic Mixing Valves (TMV) on bath outlets, which limit the hot water temperature to 48 °C, can prevent these incidents. In Scotland on the 1st of May this year the Building Regulations were changed to make the fitting of TMVs compulsory on all new buildings and refits, following the example of New Zealand and Australia.

A number of MPs, Charities and other organizations have started a campaign 'HOT WATER BURNS LIKE FIRE' to have the same requirements in the whole of the UK. However the political momentum needs to be maintained to ensure that this vital legislation make it through Parliament.

The website click here contains information on the campaign and how you can assist in getting the Regulations changed in the UK, including letter templates to use to write to your MP and Ministers.

spuds 10:51 20 Sep 06

Fully agree with VoG on this one. Support the cause. Having seen and witnessed burn victims on a number of occasions, it definitely worth some form of action and further possible prevention cure.

Kate B 11:13 20 Sep 06

I'm rather of the opinion that adults should take responsibility for the safety of their home, not the government.

Bingalau 11:29 20 Sep 06

Kate B. Some of us older people can't remember the previous days events, some of us do things by habit without thinking at all. So maybe some of us need a little guidance now and again. Do your parents live alone? ..Bingalau..

Kate B 11:51 20 Sep 06

Fair point about older people living alone (my parents are not old enough to worry about yet) but I still feel that for the majority, that kind of regulation is excessively intrusive.

it_girl 11:51 20 Sep 06

I think it is a crazy and expensive idea in that it seems like blanket covering.A better idea might be to have a platcic bath duck or better still a exagerated bath plug that changes colour.Red indicating too hot.

But then I hear some say - what about the blind or people with poor eye sight?They can have the whistling one.Maybe there is money to be made with this idea.Remember you heard it here first.

Bingalau you do a sterling job using a pc and contributing to this forum so I think that I could trust you to run a safe bath.

anskyber 11:58 20 Sep 06

"I'm rather of the opinion that adults should take responsibility for the safety of their home, not the government"

True enough as a general principle. Sadly the principle falls down when you look at human beings as they really are rather than as we would like them to be. The reality is that for all sorts of reasons people are not always in a position to meet even basic needs. My own mother suffers from altzheimers and she is well cared for by my father. He cannot be there all of the time and frankly there are certain things over which she wants to maintain her own dignity. I advised my father to fit a TMV to their shower for the reasons highlighted by VoG™. She had taken to altering things.

Even if you do not accept my general principle then be consoled by the thought that even if people are stupid enough to burn themselves at least with TMVs you will not have to meet their medical costs through taxation.

anskyber 12:00 20 Sep 06

You need to get out more often.

spuds 13:02 20 Sep 06

it_girl--"Maybe there is money to be made with this idea". If you were a little knowledgeable about various products on the market, for people who are not so wise and perhaps not healthier than most, then you will find gadgets of this kind and type that you mention and suggest. Most are very expensive, and with people on very limited means can ill (excuse the pun) afford to buy them.

Kate B-- Why not put your journalistic experience to seeking out, just how far the government and other agencies, provide and prevent accidents in the home via things like building regulations that are in force. I would think another one (which is mandatory in some countries)cannot be classed as 'excessively' intrusive.

Apologies to VoG, for perhaps turning this thread into something that he may not have wished!.

lisa02 13:16 20 Sep 06

safe.

I'd be happy with them fitted in my home and work. The hot water in the staff facilities at work is always boiling hot, and I mean hot! At home I am always worried with my kids insisting on doing things themselves.

it_girl 14:03 20 Sep 06

anskyber when you say "You need to get out more often" is that coded language, akin to using *** as seen is a recent post.Or is it the sound of a tired and worn gauntlet been thrown down?
Or simply bad manners .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced