Horrible things that we used in the past

bumpkin 17:21 08 Aug 14

Not much else going on here so I will contribute to the trivia. What in hindsight were awful things that a lot of people used in the past. A few examples to get started, woodchip wallpaper, fablon, stone cladding, artex, white wall car tyres.

Aitchbee 17:44 08 Aug 14

Anyone remember those nasty metallic tin-openers [with a corkscrew built-in to the handle] that had a pointy-stilletto-dagger-tip at one end and required 'nerves of steel' and a 'kamikaze attitude' just to open a tin of peas. Anything with a larger circumference [ like tinned plum tomatoes ] always ended up having a tinny flavour when finally extracted from the tin and on to a plate?

spider9 17:49 08 Aug 14

"white wall car tyres."

Horrible?? I think they would look the business on the BMW!

Menzie 18:06 08 Aug 14

The cassette, all that hiss in the background and at some point your favourite album always got chewed up. Also if you wanted to repeat a song rather than simply pressing repeat or previous you had to rewind it manually which wasn't instant.

bumpkin 18:11 08 Aug 14

A good example HB remember them well and the corned beef tins with the winder (which we still have) but it used to break as soon as you touched it so out with the pliers and a possible visit to A+E.

bumpkin 18:17 08 Aug 14

Spray on black vinyl roofs for cars.

Aitchbee 18:43 08 Aug 14

Menzie - still got hundreds of those pesky compact cassettes [mostly John Peel Sessions] waitin' to be digitized when I get the time :o]

bumpkin 18:59 08 Aug 14

Formica was good stuff, is that still around.

john bunyan 19:13 08 Aug 14

spider9

How can one have a good serious argument with someone who likes white wall tyres? (Ironic, of course)

Cars with only drum brakes; asbestos; woollen swimming costumes; short trousers; School caps; nylon shirts; flannelette pyjamas; feather mattresses ;many more.

VCR97 19:44 08 Aug 14

Collar studs.

spider9 19:45 08 Aug 14

johm bunyan

Indeed, I seem to remember my first Ford Prefect had no hydraulic brakes - just cables!! Constant adjustment required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…