Honey to run out by Christmas

peter99co 16:30 05 Sep 08

If you like local, honey this is bad news

click here

Forum Editor 17:42 05 Sep 08

I kept bees in a fairly big way when I was a teenager - my brother and I had a dozen hives. Then I realised that girls and rock and roll were more fun than tending bees, and I gave it up.

I've been thinking about starting again, and in view of this information I think I'll make a few calls - get some bees next spring.

oresome 17:54 05 Sep 08

It's a sign of old age if the birds and bees are no longer keeping you occupied!

wiz-king 18:02 05 Sep 08

Didn't I hear this last year?

Legolas 18:21 05 Sep 08

My honey ran out years ago, she ran away with the milkman :))

A couple I know kept some hives and when they were moving last year to the IOM they gave me a jar of their honey. It was very good, it had a really distinctive taste. I suppose honey takes on the taste of the area depending on the flowers the bees visit.

peter99co 18:22 05 Sep 08

The beekeeper said that it was one of the few that survived last winter.

Quickbeam 18:25 05 Sep 08

When will the Sugarpuffs run out...?

peter99co 18:42 05 Sep 08

Did they take the hives or did the bees follow?

How do you move bees when you need to?

Forum Editor 18:51 05 Sep 08

"I suppose honey takes on the taste of the area depending on the flowers the bees visit."

Exactly, and interestingly enough a London bee-keeper recently won the 'world's best honey' award in an international competition. It's widely accepted that the unique quality of his honey was due to the huge quantity and variety of flowers growing in London's parks and gardens.

Forum Editor 18:56 05 Sep 08

You can move bees in their hive - I regularly used to take a few hives out to a local fruit grower and leave them on his farm all spring; he got the pollinators to work for nothing, and I got the honey.

Keep bees happy and they don't really care where they are, as long as they're looked after and have a plentiful food supply. In America bees are transported hundreds of miles each spring on huge lorries to pollinate crops in orchards and on farms. Go up into the Scottish highlands when the heather is flowering and you'll see lots of beehives.

Quickbeam 19:13 05 Sep 08

"I suppose honey takes on the taste of the area"

Honey is as varied in it's flavours due to it's region of production as malt whiskys.

Gentle tasting acacia honey is as a gentle Glenmorangie. Clover and heather honeys equate to Balvenie and Dalwhinnie. While the Tasmanian Leatherwood honey is a full blown in yer face Laphroaig:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…