Honda sets the standard for the future

TopCat® 14:26 22 Dec 08

in my opinion, that is.

Did anyone see Top Gear last night which featured the new four door Honda FCX 'Clarity'? This car runs on liquid hydrogen, which costs about the same as petrol in America, and does around 270 miles on a tank refill. This remarkable car has no battery pack as it generates its own electricity from the hydrogen cell. It can reach a speed of 100mph and only water leaves its exhaust.

I think this configuration is going to knock the competition into touch and I look forward to it reaching Britain at a competitive price.

Anyone wishing to see it now will find it on click here_(new_series)/ starting at 51 minutes into the programme. TC.

wiz-king 14:32 22 Dec 08

Not very green!- burn coal or oil to boil water to make steam, use steam to generate electricity, use the electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, use more electricity from burning the oil to compress hydrogen into liquid.

Chegs ®™ 14:39 22 Dec 08

That episode of TopGear was the same as last weeks.An hour long program that has just a few minutes towards the end of the show interesting is ridiculous.I normally would defend any critisism of Clarkson & Co on TopGear but that show was utter crap.

The hydrogen vehicle was brilliant,but I cannot see any likelyhood that the UK will have a hydrogen fuelling point anytime soon(I'm unsure just how far I'd need to travel to find an LPG supply as even this technology isnt a common sight)

crosstrainer 14:41 22 Dec 08

It's true, and I do think it a great concept (speaks the man who drives a "full Fat") M5

On the programme, it appears as if hydrogen is readily available. It's not, it does require a process as energy intensive as drilling for oil.

I think we will get there but public will (and yes, my own included) will be required to relinquish our dependence upon fossil based fuels.

Anyone like to buy an M5 Tourer? (hangs head in utter shame)

perpetual motion 14:53 22 Dec 08

WELL i thought Honda have done a AMAZING job that car really is like no other, i avoid anything to do with "electric cars" but that was a total exception, i also aggree with Chegs it wasnt there best & considering it was the christmas finale Mmm,

i think if they should ever be a push to "Go Green" with cars then that should be given a "Blank Cheque" & get the petrol stations equiped, & the first time it was priced at a normal family car which said more for the other car in the show that beat the lotus £91K?

that Honda car was one word AMAZING!

perpetual motion 14:56 22 Dec 08

OH btw

here it is:

click here

crosstrainer 14:58 22 Dec 08

I'll put my tourer up against your lotus any day :))

But joking aside, it is an amazing and usable car. The M5 (in my defence) was a retirement present to myself... It was either that, or the Audi...(still hangs head in shame)

TopCat® 15:09 22 Dec 08

Not only the energy required for drilling to get the oil but also the gas and electricity needed to refine the oil into the various fuels that can be derived from it.

Whatever way we go about acquiring our energy needs there will always be a price to pay for it, as current technology stands. Where the hydrogen cell concept excels over others in my opinion, is in the lack of toxic emissions from vehicle exhausts.

I'm sure all those smog laden cities around the world will be willing to 'see the light' and encourage fume free transport as quickly as possible. TC.

TopCat® 15:38 22 Dec 08

In my opening post I said there was no battery pack - this is not the case and I add the following from perpetual motion's link. TC.

"Added Power
The compact, high-efficiency lithium-ion battery pack is used as a supplemental power source capturing lost energy during deceleration and braking. The new lithium-ion battery delivers improved performance and energy recovery in a more lightweight, compact package...."

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:39 22 Dec 08

errrrmmmm....how is the hydrogen produced?

I think a quick read here is in order click here just to put some *ahem* balance into this debate that has been rattling on for years.

G

carver 16:55 22 Dec 08

and that is from electricity generated by nuclear power stations

And then you create another problem in how to dispose of that waste, which will last for about a 1000 years.

OH, I know, I'll dig a hole in the ground, bury it, then I can't see it and the problem will go away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac