Home Secretary Declines to Meet Police Federation Chair

morddwyd 16:24 PM 10 Aug 11

Regardless of whether such a meeting would have achieved anything other than wasting her time, as a public relations exercise, in the present situation, that decision was a disaster.

http://inagist.com/BBCNews/101267342658502657/

bremner 16:51 PM 10 Aug 11

Like many Unions the Federation rarely represent the view of the overwhelming majority of the police officers they purport to represent.

interzone55 17:12 PM 10 Aug 11

fourm member

I can't see anything about Ms May refusing to meet the VC of the Police Federation. This is the only part of the BBC live feed I can find that mentions the Police Federation

*1621: Simon Reed, Vice Chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales reacts to Theresa May's cancelling of all police leave. He tells BBC 5 live officers accept there is a "national emergency" and understand the nature of their job means this can sometimes happen. But, he says, many officers will be left "out of pocket" as they will not be able to go on the holiday they paid for and will not be compensated for the money lost. Some members of the police officers have worked up to 36 hours with no rest, he adds.*

bremner 17:36 PM 10 Aug 11

alan14

To support the OP i also read the earlier report saying Teresa May had declined to meet the Federation representative.

bremner 17:37 PM 10 Aug 11

Found it

1348: The Police Federation says Home Secretary Theresa May has refused to meet its chairman Paul McKeever this week to discuss the policing of the riots. A statement is awated from the Home Office.

bremner 18:41 PM 10 Aug 11

It was only a blog on the BBC

The use of the word disaster was very much overstating the situation.

I think describing it as "inappropriate at this time" would perhaps have been better.

morddwyd 19:39 PM 10 Aug 11

Sorry.

I thought the words "in the present situation, " conveyed the same sense as "inappropriate at this time".

Apparently not.

Obviously the word "disaster" was overstating the situation, as no-one else seems to have made much of it, except me!

(Why has my spellchecker suddenlt stopped working?)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone