Holidays?

laurie53 08:18 26 Aug 07

We're going on holiday next week

This week we have to spend cleaning the house from top to bottom because "it won't be touched for a week"

When we get to our accommodation (self catering) the first day will be spent cleaning it because "you don't know who was in here before"

After four days holiday the last day will be spent cleaning because "you don't want the next people to think we're dirty".

When we get home the first few days will be spent in frantic cleaning because "it hasn't been touched for a week".

Does this sound familiar to anyone else besides me?

techie4me 08:19 26 Aug 07

Oh yes;-)

Forum Editor 09:40 26 Aug 07

The thing is, the people who get to the self-catering accommodation after you have spent a day cleaning it will spend a day cleaning it, because "you don't know who was in here before".

Fortunately for me, my wife hates cleaning, and certainly wouldn't spend two days of a holiday doing it, and neither would I.

WhiteTruckMan 10:12 26 Aug 07

but the buga bear that plaged our recent holiday that I didnt touch on in my recent thread is the (usually) womens oldie of 'what to pack'.

This year Mrs WTM neatly solved the problem with one word.

Everything.

:-(

WTM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 26 Aug 07

:0) :0) :0)

Happens every year.

This year we rented a "cottage" in Lancs, the owners had just renovated it for renting and we were the first customers (a really nice cottage they had done a ggod job).

Guess what,

the first day was spent cleaning it.

;0)

Diemmess 11:08 26 Aug 07

We were half hearted.
Accepted what it was when we went in but spent a frantic day at the end - cleaning it.

Diemmess 11:28 26 Aug 07

We had a cottage for nine years before retirement.
Knocked it towards our shape each winter and let it each summer.
Over the years my wife accumulated a list of folk who were always welcome and those who would never be allowed over the threshold again.

We charged a low rent, consequently most felt they had excellent value and treated the place well.

The best became friends and later stayed here as our guests.... but....

The worst until we learned better, were Christmas or New Year lets.
Infamously with a half day to prepare for the next, we could hardly get in for empty bottles the kitchen was filled with unwashed plates and general rubbish. The cooker was a mess.

I coped with that for 3hrs, while my wife sorted the rest with stains, dead ashes, dirt and superficial damage throughout.

spuds 12:37 26 Aug 07

laurie53, you and your wife are to be praised in your respect for other peoples property including your own.

I owned two caravan's on the east coast for a number of years, and were fortunate enough to have people as yourself occupying the caravan's. All that changed when we had one couple with children who decided that they were not our servants, they were on holiday. The result of that occupation was broken, damaged uncleaned crockery and other items, cooking fat on surfaces and blocking the sink. This list went depressingly on. But of course it wasn't that family's fault, their holiday had been spoilt by the weather because it rained most of the week, plus they couldn't find or didn't bother to find anywhere convenient for themselves to visit.Sleeping, drinking, stubbing cigarette ends out around the fittings, plus fry-ups was the order of the day, so it would appear.

The result of that experience, was the two caravan's, plus two further caravan's belonging to the family were disposed of. We had a regular loyal client base, who were very upset about our decisions. All this was due to one family's activities, and a rather expensive clean-up bill.

So once again, my appreciations go out to people like yourselves, your are the salt of the earth.

Legolas 19:12 26 Aug 07

That certainly brings back memories of when I was young and remember my mother doing just as you outlined, especially when you got to the holiday cottage/caravan and always but always made sure the holiday accommodation was left spotless.

Legolas 19:14 26 Aug 07

Just out of curiosity where are you going on holiday?

Bingalau 19:22 26 Aug 07

My wife and I went with two more couples, to a villa in Florida a couple of years ago. We had a whale of a time and experienced a lovely hurricane whilst there. The last two days we spent helping to tidy up the outside area which had been covered in debris from adjoining properties. Ours remained intact. What surprised me was when we were clearing up inside to leave the place spic and span. One of the female members of our gang didn't have a clue how to use a vacuum cleaner. Neither did her husband. I'm sure they don't have a maid at home, so I'm a bit worried about the state of their own house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…