Holiday Passport.

Shopgirl 22:13 09 May 12

Have you heard of people getting passports and not going abroad I had that discussion at work today. Many of my colleagues said that they would only get a passport if they were going on holiday abroad. I would like your views on this subject.

Forum Editor 22:52 09 May 12

It makes sense to obtain a passport, even if you aren't planning to travel. Then, if you do decide to go abroad at some point, or if an emergency arises, you don't have to wait - you're ready to travel at short notice. Apart from that, a passport serves as a useful ID document.

finerty 23:10 09 May 12

What other id can you use instead of a passport or a driving license, an employee id card maybe, a national insurance card? a wage slip? then what else is there with you photo

Chegs ®™ 04:05 10 May 12

I renew my passport but rarely travel,I obtained a passport to visit my Mothers in Spain but haven't been out there in years(last visit wasnt a holiday,she required help redecorating)As has been said,its very useful as an ID.

Quickbeam 07:06 10 May 12

My passport is now well past it's expiry date, I'm not a frequent traveller.

A photo driving licence is as good as a passport for ID, but I can't remember when I last needed to ID myself for anything.

I miss the old one year paper holiday passports that you could get in half an hour at the post office, you could keep them in your wallet when abroad as they only had to last a year.

And we come back to why we need one at all, one card with all your details for driving, health, banking, retail purchasing, access to your job at the Burn's nuclear plant... why can't a single supercard do it all?

Mr Mistoffelees 07:59 10 May 12

"And we come back to why we need one at all, one card with all your details for driving, health, banking, retail purchasing, access to your job at the Burn's nuclear plant... why can't a single supercard do it all?"

Because when your clone steals your card you could be in a lot of trouble!

birdface 08:29 10 May 12

Never had one ,Never will.

I cannot see the point of anyone paying for a passport if you do not need it at the time.

It must be about £100 now to renew one.I suppose if you like your foreign holidays or have travel occasionally with work it would be best keeping it up to date.

It only takes a week to get it renewed using the Post office and that is sufficient for most users.

QuizMan 09:50 10 May 12

I do not travel abroad these days, but as my only driving licence is a paper one dating back to 1970 and has no photo on it, I always renew my passport purely for ID purposes. It is the only document of this type that I own that contains my photo.

morddwyd 09:51 10 May 12

"Many of my colleagues said that they would only get a passport if they were going on holiday abroad"

Depends a bit on individual circumstances.

I haven't been abroad since '97, and have no intention of going again, but that could change tomorrow, or even later today.

My passport is always up-to-date - we live in an ever shrinking world.

Picklefactory 11:05 10 May 12

Regarding using a passport as ID, I remember struggling to use it as such on my last trip to the USA (Apart from entry to the country, clearly). It was about 10 years ago, and maybe things have changed, but I had a few seperate issues, in the same trip, where they wanted a card ID or drivers license, as they were uncomfortable using a British passport for ID purposes. If memory serves, these were bars or liquor stores to be fair, and nothing official, but it showed how other nations have differing views on what constitutes acceptable ID. I thought it rather comical at the time, as some locals I met told me that fake US drivers licenses were rife and extremely cheap and easy to come by, but were deemed locally to be a more reliable ID than a UK passport.

Condom 17:20 10 May 12

This reminds me of the day I attended a wine tasting do in the "Taste of Chicago" annual event. I was 45 at the time and the policeman at the entry was not going to let me in as I could not prove to him I was over 21. He asked for my driving licence but of course at the time they had no picture on it and so he didn't believe me that it was a proper UK driving licence. As much as I felt complemented that I looked under 21 at 45 it reallly was a strange situation to be in and only solved by dozens of US citizens calling the policeman a stupid fool which embaraased him into letting me enter. I might add that it was a bit of a waste of time as most of the wine (USA) on offer was pretty poor but my European opinion was still well received. Thankfully in the past 20 years their wine has improved greatly...well it really couldn't have got much worse;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant