History of Computing

rossgolf 11:35 01 Jul 08

can anyone help? im looking for links to help me in a project about the history of the Home Computer. and can anyone shed any light on the official first home computer,
any help will be appriciated. thank you

Ross

johndrew 11:38 01 Jul 08

You could Google click here

rossgolf 12:07 01 Jul 08

already googled it. i was just wondering if anyone had any personal opinions on good sites to use?

interzone55 12:40 01 Jul 08

click here

The computer museum, I've spent many an hour wandering through this web site...

pj123 17:49 01 Jul 08

Wasn't it an Abacus?

Or maybe the first "home" computer could be something to do with Clive? ZX80, ZX81 comes to mind.

csqwared 19:21 01 Jul 08

Depends what you calss as a computer - pj123 is probably right with his suggestion of the Abacus. I think the machine that we have come to know and love (?) stems from a concept of Charles Babbage. Recently 1990 (?) a machine was constructed using his original designs and was shown to be functional.

csqwared 19:21 01 Jul 08

"calss"?? = "class" Dohh!!

laurie53 19:56 01 Jul 08

I don't think there was much in the way of "home" computing before the ZX81.

rossgolf 19:56 01 Jul 08

well the project i am working on is computers throughout the 20th century. so im like researching the home computer aswell as the first computer with a microprocessor etc...

peter99co 20:41 01 Jul 08

I have still got my Sharp LCD Calculator from 35 years ago and it still works. Does it still count as early computer equipment?

peter99co 21:04 01 Jul 08

In the 70's
I once saw an IBM Portable Computer which had beefed up parts in it so the client felt he was getting value for money, when he felt the weight in it..The engineer dropped it but as he was field testing it all he had to do was report the event and carry on using it. He used a Modem that you dropped a phone handset into.

I think the cost was around £4000.

A full page advert in the Daily Telegraph 1988 OCT 7TH (page 13)showed an EPSON PC AX with a spec of 12MHz 64K memory(std) and 7 expansion slots. Capable of handling 4 disc drives 40 and 80mb of hard disc space. all this for £1699 up to £2699 (exc. VAT) In addition it had a single floppy disc for use as a network terminal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…