Highway robbery? Another charge now levied for the unlucky drivers

TopCat® 16:35 PM 07 Oct 12

who's vehicle causes damage to the highway. story here This has given concern to insurance companies and policy holders too when inflated claims are demanded by various Highways Agency contractors for cleaning and repairs carried out. TC.

Strawballs 16:58 PM 07 Oct 12

Road fund licence is meant for road repairs tell them to take it out of that instead of sending abroad.

Woolwell 19:26 PM 07 Oct 12

I don't think that there is anything new in the liability just the question over price.

rdave13 19:41 PM 07 Oct 12

About time this sort of scam was highlighted. It only happens if you're fully insured and I strongly believe that these companies take full advantage of the fact that honest people are insured. Inflated prices no doubt. Time for independent bodies to thoroughly investigate these over inflated bills and fully investigate these so called contractors. No wonder my insurance is so dear.

morddwyd 20:17 PM 07 Oct 12

Do you honestly think the insurance companies would pay "inflated" bills without thoroughly checking them?

Even if they did, do you think their shareholders would let them?

rdave13 20:20 PM 07 Oct 12

Do you honestly think the insurance companies would pay "inflated" bills without thoroughly checking them?

Yes and often do. Sorry, should have said, always do.

Aitchbee 21:23 PM 07 Oct 12

The safe upkeep of roads [in Scotland & England] is mostly funded by the Council Tax.

The Tories [and SNP in Scotland] want to freeze the Council Tax once again.(Political ... to get more votes).

Therefore, the money (that is necessary for the upkeep/maintenence of roads must come from somewhere (else).

ie...The Motorists.

Woolwell 21:50 PM 07 Oct 12

Aitchbee - There is the Highways Agency and Department for Transport grants to Local Counncils for roads. I don't have an accurate breakdown but I suspect a large proportion comes from central tax.

The OFT is investigating into high insurance premiums due to inflated costs

See OFT investigation Dec 2011

Bing.alau 22:39 PM 07 Oct 12

I have the feeling that the motorists probably pay for the upkeep of this country, never mind the country's roads. You only have to look at the amount of vehicles on the roads to realise that it is the proverbial "Milch Cow".

Of course while we keep paying for the pleasure of owning and running a car they will keep putting up the prices. If only all of us motorists could go on strike for a couple of weeks. We would be fitter and richer but the country would be broke.

kad60 05:48 AM 08 Oct 12

All part,i suspect,of the privatisation or is it privation of britain.

Toll roads will be next so all of these organisations will be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

HondaMan 07:52 AM 08 Oct 12

Yes, often, and the Motor Insurers Bureau know that it goes on and do nothing about it. It's nothing new and it's been going on for years. The MIB do nothing as, in their words, "It's not cost effective to try and stop it!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…