Hi i'm drbeeching

drbeeching 17:26 05 Apr 07

Just thought i would say a big hello to you all.
Been reading the forum for about 3 months, so hope to understand what goes on here.

TOPCAT® 17:43 05 Apr 07

but I hope you are not the gentleman that started the decimation our railways many years ago! :o)

A warm welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy them. TC.

Watchful 17:57 05 Apr 07

have you come to apologize?

Seriously though, a warm welcome from a satisfied PCA passenger.

anskyber 17:59 05 Apr 07

Hello!!

So why did you scrap the Helston to Redruth line!?!

Welcome.

wolfie3000 18:00 05 Apr 07

I honestly dont get the train jokes,

But a warm welcome from me :)

crosstrainer 18:02 05 Apr 07

And you are now re-building the branch lines from the Valleys into Cardiff....amazed that you have the time to talk to us!

Welcome and hope you have seen the error of your ways!

Can you sort the London underground out?

Perhaps your mate Ken could help?

Forum Editor 18:17 05 Apr 07

Back in 1961, when you were but a twinkle in someone's eye, the Conservative government's Transport Minister (a charismatic man called Ernest Marples) appointed a Dr. Beeching as chairman of British Railways (the railways were then a nationalised industry). Marples thought that the future of Britain's transport system lay in motorway system, rather than on the railways. Cynics might point out that he would have believed that - he was a major shareholder in a road construction company.

Beeching was at the time the technical director of ICI indistries, and his philosophy was that the railways should be run along business lines, and not as public service. He set about making a major survey of all Britain's operating railway lines, and gathered data on passenger miles related to cost. As a result he came up with a list of railway lines that were not running profitably, and recommended to the government that they should be summarily closed (or 'axed' as the media insisted it was called). There was a huge public outcry, particularly from small rural communities for many of which the daily train service was a lifeline to civilisation.

Nevertheless, the government accepted the Beeching report, and hundreds of branch lines ceased to exist. To this day you can see the legacy if you look carefully - there are leafy corridors all over the country, many of them have become nature walks, etc.

In the 1950's we had over 21,000 of track and 6000 stations, but by the end of the 1970's the system had shrunk to 12000 miles of track and 2000 stations.

It's all blamed on Beeching, but in fact closure of uneconomic lines had been going on for ten years before he came on the scene - he simply accelerated the process.

Forum Editor 18:18 05 Apr 07

drbeeching. I hope you'll enjoy your time with us.

drbeeching 18:21 05 Apr 07

My friends thinking i'm a drbeeching type because i'm always complaining about the state of the railways. Hence the name!

Sadly the villiage i used to live in was brought to it's knees by the cut's. And only nearly 40 years later has the villiage recovered.

wolfie3000 18:24 05 Apr 07

Thanks FE thats made it alot clearer for me.

anskyber 18:29 05 Apr 07

"My friends thinking i'm a drbeeching type because i'm always complaining about the state of the railways. Hence the name!"

Well in that case you are additionally welcome!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…