Here's something to get steamed-up about!

TopCat® 16:33 27 Jun 07

No, it's not about a controversial thread or a post that makes the hackles rise nor is it about abuse of another member. I just thought you might like to know that the world land speed record for steam is possibly in jeopardy.

This project click here is near to completion and an attempt to break the record for a steam propelled car will be taking place soon. I note it has quite a few big name sponsors so I imagine it's not a third rate concept doomed to failure. Some detailed info of the mechanicals can be seen on this website. TC.

Stuartli 16:48 27 Jun 07

Let's hope the idea doesn't run out of puff.

Quickbeam 17:06 27 Jun 07

It'll be a bit of a bind having to get steam up every morning before reversing out of the drive...

johndrew 18:53 27 Jun 07

I`m not sure that a modern steam train could compete with the latest in use, but they did hold some solid records. Perhaps given the energy available in steam we could see something a bit quick???

TopCat® 22:38 28 Jun 07

and before closing this, I'm sure we all wish them success with the venture and hope all goes safe and well for them. TC.

WhiteTruckMan 22:52 28 Jun 07

when properly applied. Power stations all over the world, be it oil, coal, gas or even nuclear all use steam power at the generating side.

But closer to home, there is a steam railway about 6 miles from my house and it never fails to impress me that these huge pieces of edwardian engineering weighing many tons can move with seemingly little effort or fuss compared with a diesel. I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses here as I know full well that they are truly horrendously labour intensive machines, but that doesnt detract from their imposing presence.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…