Here's an example of how some things can go wrong very rapidly

Forum Editor 14:39 PM 18 Dec 12
Answered

Instagram, a company that was acquired by Facebook earlier this year is giving itself the right to sell users' photographs to advertisers without their consent.

Instagram is making out that the change in policy is to enable it to "fight spam more effectively, detect system and reliability problems more quickly, and build better features for everyone by understanding how Instagram is used" but people aren't being fooled by it. One market analyst said "Every time Facebook has altered their privacy policy it has led to a backlash and they've been forced to retreat. They tamper with people's privacy at a cost. People are very upset."

Personal privacy on the internet is an increasingly problematic issue - I recently had an experience where one of those business networks accessed my address book and sent emails to everyone in it without my knowledge.

Flak999 15:19 PM 18 Dec 12

Another reason not to use social media! I have a Facebook and a twitter account but only use them to view other sites which require a Facebook or twitter login. I have all of the privacy settings set to the max and never post any personally identifiable data and never any pictures.

Aitchbee 18:42 PM 18 Dec 12

FE - I don't visit social-networks ... so, your ugly mug is still 'not available'. (only kidding)

WhiteTruckMan 21:53 PM 18 Dec 12

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cant fool all of the people all of the time.

As true today as when it was first uttered.

WTM

Quickbeam 00:45 AM 19 Dec 12

...but you can probably fool the youthful people most of the time as always.

They'll still carry on blithely posting pictures of themselves going into the taxi, into the pub, into the whatever...

LastChip 01:01 AM 19 Dec 12

That is why I absolutely refuse to have a Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking account.

Forum Editor 09:03 AM 19 Dec 12

fourm member

For future reference, we've tweaked my control console, so now, when I ban a spammer the server automatically removes all posts by that person, wherever they appear. It means that you'll only have to notify me once.

Many thanks.

Quickbeam 11:58 AM 19 Dec 12
Answer

I now have this mental image of the FE sitting behind a Davros-esque control console looking magnificent in his omnipotence with golden mouse and thread lock at the ready...:)

wee eddie 13:12 PM 19 Dec 12

[b]Nah Quickbeam:[/b] It's combat fatigues and an AK47!

Aitchbee 18:23 PM 20 Dec 12

It's not too difficult to work out that the GOVERNMENT is 'on facebook' and has 'clocked' everybody that they wish to 'analyse'.

Forum Editor 23:15 PM 20 Dec 12

Aitchbee

Sometimes I think you post just for the sake of it. What in earth do you mean by "the GOVERNMENT is 'on facebook' and has 'clocked' everybody that they wish to 'analyse'."?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites