Help settle an argument

iqs 18:48 PM 05 May 12

Hi, There's a discussion going on in my house regarding if cold water passes through you quicker then hot water,I say it does,but have been told there's no difference. Can you he please. Thanks

rdave13 18:55 PM 05 May 12

Some info here. Looks like warm water is better for hydration so it could mean that cold water would pass through quicker as less is absorbed efficiently?

canarieslover 19:09 PM 05 May 12

I've only got to dip my hands in cold water and it starts passing through me!!!!

Forum Editor 19:40 PM 05 May 12

"I say it does,but have been told there's no difference."

Like lots of questions, the answer to this isn't as straightforward as you might think. In short, cold water is absorbed faster than water at room temperature, and it will rehydrate you faster.

rdave13 19:56 PM 05 May 12

From my link, Cold water is not as good for hydration as room temperature. The theory is that the cold water causes the blood vessels surrounding stomach to shrink, slowing absorption So who is right FE?

Aitchbee 20:07 PM 05 May 12

In most modern big city pubs you have a choice of 'normal' or 'ice cold' lagers...I usually select 'ice cold' on hot summer days and 'normal' on cold winter evenings...on days when we have 4 seasons in one day...I have a cup of coffee ;o]

frybluff 20:13 PM 05 May 12

Mostly sober then.

Aitchbee 20:20 PM 05 May 12

frybluff - indubitably. I hope we get a long hot summer this year, though!

Forum Editor 23:30 PM 05 May 12

Who is right? I don't know, which is why I said the answer isn't straightforward.

What I do know is that The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that all drinks used during exercise be chilled. Research has shown that chilled water passes through the stomach much more quickly than drinks consumed at room temperature, and cold water rehydrates you quicker after strenuous exercise.

BRYNIT 23:41 PM 05 May 12

After a little search it seams that cold water does pass through the body quicker CLICK HERE

Knowing my luck I'll find another link that says the opposite.

rdave13 23:47 PM 05 May 12

That's a good answer but leaves me puzzled. If chilled water passes through the stomach faster than room, or ambient temperature, water then the stomach surely digests, or absorbs, less of it to hydrate the body and then the kidneys and liver removes it in a purer form or water rather than urine?

Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X