Helmet cameras capture bad driving

peter99co 17:02 01 Feb 11

click here

Mr Porter, 37, took the footage to his local police station and the van driver was eventually prosecuted and found guilty of a public order offence and driving without due care and attention. He was fined £300, with costs of £150 and given five points on his licence.

Good for him.

birdface 17:34 01 Feb 11

If you are not allowed to take photos of anyone in a shopping center is this not the same.
Obviously he has used this as evidence against the driver so not sure if it would be legal or not.
If connected to the bike maybe so.
It would be a sad day if everyone ran about with camera's strapped to there heads.
Not sure what he was screaming at going round the bend as the van was well clear of him at the time.
probably the van driver may have thought that he was swearing at him.
And decided to do something about it.
With camera's it is invading peoples privacy and that it why they are not allowed to take photo's in some towns.
Not sure where I picked that up from TV probably.

Quickbeam 17:49 01 Feb 11

There's too many aggressive macho drivers that feel they can bully there way around the roads and would rather have an accident than even think of giving way.

BRYNIT 18:20 01 Feb 11

buteman

There is no law that can stop you taking a photograph if your feet are on a piece of public property, and what has taking photos inside a shopping centre got to do with filming out side.

If you had looked carefully you would have noticed that the van driver was about to cut in front of the cyclist which is why I assume he was charged with driving without due care and attention. If this had happened to you whilst driving a car you may have said something totally different but nobody would have heard.

brindly 20:28 01 Feb 11

I agree that this van driver was out of order but I wonder how many times a vehicle driver has had to take avoiding action because of a cyclist who ignors the laws of the highway by jumping red lights or riding up the wrong way of a one way street. Cyclists are always campaining for extra road space but don't want to contribute to a road fund licence. I know they probably pay taxes but so do vehicle drivers in more ways than one.

namtas 20:32 01 Feb 11

Buteman
not sure where you have the idea that taking photos in public is not allowed but you are wrong in your statement. There are certain restrictions where for security etc it is not allowed but in general in the UK taking photos of the public is in order. However it may not always be a smart thing to do.

Chegs ®™ 22:31 01 Feb 11

The cyclist is shouting to the van driver "stay right" as he didn't want to be knocked off,then a short distance on you can see the camera wobble & hear the clonk of handlebar on van.I used to cycle lots years ago & found that wearing steel-toe capped boots was handy for catching up with the offending vehicle & simply booting out a light.In a town such as this,I soon gained notoriety and was given plenty of road space.

jakimo 00:03 02 Feb 11

perhaps pedestrians should start wearing mini cameras to gather evidence when they are injured on pavements and pedestrian only areas.
It would also be beneficial if cyclist had to take a compulsory eye to check if they can see who's in front of them.

DANZIG 09:39 02 Feb 11

Personally as, in my opinion, a pretty courteous and careful driver - its the behaviour of cyclists that is of concern.

Not ALL cyclists however - just a few. The times I see them jump lights, go the wrong way down one way streets, use the path (that IS still illegal isn't it??), have no lights in the dark - the list is endless - maybe car drivers should have camera's installed in their motors as well!

Also Chegs - kicking in people's lights?? Surely you can't consider that the right way to go about things??

KremmenUK 13:15 02 Feb 11

Near me is a major single carriageway A road. Because of the problems caused by slow moving cyclists the council opened up part of the pavement to cyclists as a dedicated cycle lane and did all the necessary painting and erected signs, etc.

Yet still, a few ignorant ones cycle in the main road in such a manner that large lorries cannot pass them for up to 4 miles and this causes a huge hold up.

peter99co 15:41 02 Feb 11

I had a Volvo driver come up the inside of me as I approached a right turn ahead and gently pushed me over the white line into the path of oncoming traffic. We where in a long line of cars approching the turn ahead.

He was level with me in his car when this happened. I hit his side window so hard it covered him in glass. He stopped and said he had not seen me!

He wanted me to pay for his window. I reached in and took his keys and threw them into a patch of waste ground on the opposite side of the road.

He was still looking 2 hours later when I returned the opposite direction.

Keep Death of the Road is my motto.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…