Heath Robinson water clock

WhiteTruckMan 22:22 17 Jun 07

In this thread

click here

I mentioned I was building a water clock. I thought I would share the progress so far in this short little movie clip

click here

and a still of the mechanism

click here

I needed to build something that would run continuously and regular. Add to that was the task of doing it on a budjet of effectively zero, and its been a struggle. Most of it is wood that has come from the anti-crush packaging of washing machines and fridge freezers. Add some recovered screws, string, bits of wire, a few magnets from promotional items, a pair of old plant pots and a bit of scrounged cable conduit and this is the result. Its all designed from scratch, as I couldnt find anything on the web that came near to what I was looking for.

I have some vague ideas about how to display time, and they revolve (no pun intended!) around the type of gearing found in old water/wind mills, coupled with some form of ratchet mechanism.

Comments and suggestions would be welcome.

WTM

wellshgit 22:46 17 Jun 07

Hi. Sorry I cant help with the clock, but after working for 22 yrs offshore in the persian gulf,I found the video of the helicopter crash chilling. I,m glad we did,nt have that pilot!!!

WhiteTruckMan 22:53 17 Jun 07

about the other clips. Good thing theres nothing embarrasing there!

WTM

Blackhat 23:07 17 Jun 07

OK, so your water system regulates in the fashion that a pendulum would, you mention a rachet mechanism, what you need is an escapement mechanism to convert that motion into a controled rotary one.

Here's a little light reading on escapements

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017