Health Secretary Andrew Lansley

Forum Editor 00:23 05 Apr 11

says ministers will "pause" for consultation on a planned NHS shake-up in England.

Am I alone on hoping that the pause lasts for many years?

Kevscar1 05:57 05 Apr 11

Yes

uk-wizard 06:39 05 Apr 11

No - I would like to see reforms but after a long pause in any meddling. let it settle down and not have people interfering and changing things they often know nothing about - bring back evolution and forget about mass wipe-outs.

john 52 07:23 05 Apr 11

Yes

It took many years and a lot of money to get the NHS back into a reasonable shape again do they not realize that to restructure a service costs money .
This may come back to bite them in the backside if they are not careful

spider9 08:06 05 Apr 11

"Am I alone on hoping that the pause lasts for many years?"

NO - I know you are not alone in hoping for a pause.
(I'm certainly of the same mind, so that's two of us, anyway!!).
The NHS, as it stands, is a good model and, notwithstanding that nothing is perfect, gives good service. Why attempt to do such a radical reform at this juncture? Are there not many other things government attention could be concentrated on?

Quiller. 08:58 05 Apr 11

Untill May the 6th.

The coalition could be on a thumping already with local and AV elections. If they try to push through the health reform, it could be a blood bath.

morddwyd 09:12 05 Apr 11

The NHS seems to be like education in this respect.

Every other week there is an announcement of yet another reform, review, strategy discussion, consultation exercise etc.

spider9 09:18 05 Apr 11

Like yourself, I've not studied all the proposals in detail yet, but think a lot of the 'trouble' may be that people have developed a fair degree of cynicism towards our leaders in recent times.
The upshot being that any/all new proposals are greeted with the attitude of "Why are they wanting this? It will be bad for us if the politicians want it".

So the NHS reforms are seen as backdoor privatisation, and the Big Society a means of off-loading various forms of care to the charity section. Hence the descriptions of these measures as ideologically based, not necessarily in the public's interest.

The dramatic fall in public perception of MPs 'honesty' particularly after the expenses business, means their credibility is shot and may take years (if not forever) to get us to accept new ideas from them.

carver 09:32 05 Apr 11

All I see in these reforms is cost cutting, no clear idea of how it will work in the long term.

This isn't an end to the nanny state it's a start of a private health service that GP's will not be able to control.

One aspect of these reforms is that any private hospital can tender for your operation and in theory the cheapest one can and should get it, not the one you want, so that operation you so desperately need may have to get performed 50 miles from your home.

timsmith259 10:10 05 Apr 11

did you know during some operations in the private sector have complications and the private sector ships these patients out to the NHS to resolve.

Most private hospitals don't have the resources to deal with complications

flycatcher1 10:22 05 Apr 11

From earlier posts I know that the FE has had very good experiences with the NHS. Together with many others we have - but we have also experienced and know of inferior treatment.

I am not at all sure that the proposed changes are right but the fact that most GPs and NHS Staff are aginst them gives pause for thought.

The BMA fought tooth and nail aginst the NHS and they also fought to reduce Doctor's hours but to increase their pay. Many Doctors do the required hours but work only a four day week. Never at the week-end or on Public Holidays.

My Mother was a Nurse - really caring person - but would never have achieved a degree. I read in the papers that "caring for old people is not given a high priority" in training. You cannot teach caring but it is a vital part of nursing.

If you think that the NHS is not able to provide the required service without a reduction in costs have a look at the posts on Hospital Porridge!

Cancer treatment is often not carried out at weekends and a friend of mine is having his treatment altered so that the staff can have a day off for the Royal Wedding.

Try being taken to hospital on January 1st, as we did, and see how many people are working. The ones that were there were brilliant but grossly overworked.

If the Police, Fire Service and others can provide a 24hr/ 365 day cover why cannot the NHS be organised in the same way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…