HD tv

NORFOLK SPARKY 16:42 12 Nov 05

I see that there are a lot of HD ready tv on sale do any members know when HD tv broadcast will become generally available?

bremner 16:44 12 Nov 05

Take a look at this click here

NORFOLK SPARKY 16:57 12 Nov 05

It would seem to me that it would not be woth buying a HD tv yet as I would expect improvments in quality and lower price in a few years time and by then there should be more programes to watch

Pidder 17:47 12 Nov 05

Has anyone seen HDTV yet? It seems to me that the present system, given a good signal, is already high enough definition. Yet another way of extracting our hard-earned?

bremner 19:09 12 Nov 05

I saw HDTV in the US - the difference is quality and clarity of picture is considerable.

If you saw it you would not say "given a good signal, is already high enough definition"

Pidder 16:16 13 Nov 05

Thanks for yours. I'll wait and see.

€dstowe 18:29 13 Nov 05

There is/was a Sony travelling exhibition which demonstrates HDTV.

I saw it a couple of times in Brighton.

Lets say I won't be rushing out to buy - like I wish I hadn't bought my DAB radio (which is now in a cupboard, unused).

bremner 18:31 13 Nov 05

"Lets say I won't be rushing out to buy"

I ama interested to know why becasue as I said above I was very impressed with what I saw in the states.

€dstowe 20:35 13 Nov 05

Not keen because the equipment is very expensive and the improvement in visual and audio quality doesn't justify the extra expense.

jz 20:50 13 Nov 05

I've heard that the version of HDTV that will be broadcast by satellite or terrestrial is a bit over-compressed, so the picture isn't as big an improvement on standard TV as you might think. Still pictures look great, but things blur quite badly during a pan.

There are 3 standards of HDTV:

720p - 1280x720 progressive (60 FPS)
1080i - 1920x1080 interlaced (30 FPS)
1080p - 1920x1080 progressive (60 FPS) (FPS = frames per second)

The vast majority of 'HDTV ready' TVs available today only support the lowest spec of the 3 standards - 720p. This means that when HDTV content is the norm, your TV will be resticted to a significantly smaller resolution and you will not gain the full benefits of HD-TV.

Some High Definition Examples if you want to see for yourself click here

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…