hazchem class diamonds

  sunnystaines 20:00 07 Sep 10

are they law for private vehicles?

I carry propane gas in the camper van and have a diamond displayed.

I now carry an oxygen cannister for medical reasons do i need to find another hazchem diamond to cover that.

  morddwyd 20:05 07 Sep 10

Your local firemaster will advise on this.

Out of fairness to the fire service you should.

Oxygen, particularly compressed, can make u phenomenal difference to a fire.

  wiz-king 21:47 07 Sep 10

Yes, you should if it is over the maximum limit. I stand to be corrected but from memory the limit is ~600mls cylinder capacity = 'lecture' sized bottles 12" x 2". But be aware that you wont be allowed down some tunnels if you have any hazard symbols displayed.

  Forum Editor 00:45 08 Sep 10

on a private vehicle if you carry less than 1000 litres of compressed oxygen, although you should carry a TREM (TRansport EMergency) card. This details the nature of the material carried, and actions to be taken by the driver and/or emergency services in the event of an accident. You can get an oxygen TREM card from BOC,ask for an 842 card.

Although you're not required to display a green diamond you might consider the fact that in the event of an accident in which you were left unconscious the emergency services would have no way of knowing what was aboard - they would proceed as if yours was a normal car, and if your vehicle caught fire the consequences could be much worse.

  sunnystaines 07:52 08 Sep 10

good advice thank you.

  Quickbeam 08:11 08 Sep 10

I think that once you use the ADR signs, you must comply with the full regs click here so, bear in mind that if you're not carrying oxygen at any time a TREM card must be in an envelope or similar storage cover clearly marked 'TREM cards not in use'.

This is so that in the event of an accident, the firemen know what substances are 'not' aboard.

The Hazard Shop click here for signage diamonds.

  siouxah1 10:24 08 Sep 10

I am sure you will be aware, but will say that you should also inform your insurance company. It should not make any difference to your premium.

  siouxah1 10:26 08 Sep 10

That is referring to the smaller mobile cylinder that is supplied BOC. Can't remember the exact capacity.

  Quickbeam 11:45 08 Sep 10

And don't forget the fire extinguisher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…