have you XP patched?

no-name 10:21 20 Aug 04

Here's a quote from a Mailwasher newsletter I've just received:

"Finally, make sure you keep up-to-date with Microsoft's patches. The latest research shows that an unpatched Windows XP computer has a life expectancy of less than 20 minutes before it is compromised. That's less time than it takes to download the patches!"

If this is correct it sounds a bit scary - and seems to suggest a contrary opinion to a member within this forum who is constantly stating that no-one is interested in compromising the bog standard home PC.

Sapins 10:35 20 Aug 04

Maybe he's the only one with a bog standard home PC!

Rigga 10:46 20 Aug 04

Interestingly. click here
says almost the same!

Nellie2 12:43 20 Aug 04

Yes it is correct, if you are not patched then you are vulnerable to all sorts of problems. Sasser and Blaster, all manner of malware infections and trojans.

It is unlikely that the bog standard PC would be directly targeted but then it doesn't need to be. A fully patched PC won't protect you from every baddie out there but you will cut down your vulnerability.

Valvegrid 12:45 20 Aug 04

I think I know who you are talking about, but to be fair I think the person you refer to talks about 'hackers' as opposed to virus, spy-ware, Trojan's and various other assorted scum-ware, I think you'll probably find they have AV installed and their Windows XP is patched up-to-date, it's just that the person doesn't run a firewall, I can in a way see their point of view, If a hacker wanted to look in my machine they would either fall off their chair laughing, or die of boredom.

no-name 13:40 20 Aug 04

Valvegrid I think you should read The Register at click here

Here's an extract:

"Many popular websites, including search engines and shopping sites, have been secretly hacked and have had mysterious code placed on their Web servers. When a user running Internet Explorer logs on to a contaminated site, the user's PC is infected with malicious code.....Backdoors are opened on infected PCs and key-logging software is also installed, allowing the creators of the code to steal passwords, PIN numbers and credit card details. According to some analysts, the hackers behind the malware are actually loading computers with so-called "adware" or "spamware" software that can push unwanted ads to users or steal personal data for the purpose of spam emailing".

I think that is hacking the home PC even if it's not done directly, despite what our distinguished forum colleague may say.

Valvegrid 15:33 20 Aug 04

I think we are talking about the same thing, "adware" or "spamware" in the article and I said " virus, spy-ware, Trojan's and various other assorted scum-ware" as against someone directly accessing your computer without the use of additional software, just using what's already available in Windows to gain access, its done all the time on a corporate network by the administrators. Just make sure all your security is up-to-date.

By the way, that article was dated Friday 25th June 2004 so it is very much ancient history as the Internet goes.

Don't get me wrong, I think its good to discuss these things to make sure it remains at the forefront of peoples minds, well done, thanks.

Indigo 1 07:43 24 Aug 04

Yes the Internet can be a dangerous place for unprotected PC's, I have seen at least 4 in the past few moths that have 'died' due to ignorance of this fact and yes it is true that you won't even have time to download the protection before it happens. And of course it happened to me too once.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:56 24 Aug 04

There is a differnce between hacking and dropping malicious programems on a computer. Even a firewall and AV will NOT stop some programmes of adware or trackers but you will not be hacked. I have yet to see a home computer hacked.

ps....just because it is on the Internet does not mean that it is true. /eyes raise

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:59 24 Aug 04

pps.....I'm sure that I have no need to point out that Mailwasher have an, errrrm, vested interest in such things and it would be churlish of me to say that 2+2=4 ;-))) Also I do not usually say 'bog-standard PC's', I use the words 'home computers', again slightly different in meaning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…