Have you taken your library books back?

BT 08:20 18 Apr 10

Seems like someone forgot.

click here

Quickbeam 08:27 18 Apr 10

I recently found library copies of 'The JAP Engine' (1930s) and 'Tuning For Speed' (a sought after 6th edition) in the attic, last renewed in '81 when I was still competing... they've never asked for them back.

simonjary 08:34 18 Apr 10

Whe enrolling my daughter at the local library we were told that they no longer fine for overdue books as they are so glad someone actually uses the library they wouldn't want to stop them visiting!

morddwyd 08:36 18 Apr 10

My wife used to be a librarian and she was amazed by the excuses some people would use to avoid a fine of something like 5p.

My favourite was the padre who said he couldn't bring them in because it was raining, and was therefore an Act of God.

My wife said that she could accept it if the CO had sent him off on short notice temporary duty, but acts of other, civilian, Gods were not acceptable, and he should take it up with his management!

spuds 18:04 18 Apr 10

Considering that most of our local libraries have a regular clear-out, with the end results being offered to the public from 5p a book, or a carrier bag full for a pound. Then fining a person at 10p/20p per day for overdues would be against the grain ;o)

Our council are considering making redundant quite a number of librarians, and having automatic systems put into place, as a cost saving exercise.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 18 Apr 10

Just had them fitted in all our local libraries.

Need a librarian to help work the bloody thing. :0)

Paddylad 20:55 18 Apr 10

I wonder what the cost saving cost of installation will be? :-)

mr simon 21:34 18 Apr 10

It would appear you have much friendlier library staff than in my area. Having forgotten to return a book, a letter was sent threatening debt recovery unless I returned it!

It was 4 weeks late.

ronalddonald 22:59 18 Apr 10

They should charge his living descendants but not that much unless they have the means to pay

Grey Goo 23:16 18 Apr 10

Someone still has to empty this contraption and put the books back on the shelves.

spuds 17:39 19 Apr 10

I haven't really looked into this automatic system,and how it was or is being run, because I ceased taking out books from the library about six months ago, because it was getting a bit of a problem taking them back, and I found that I was phoning renewals far to often.

When the system was mentioned, I know the various library staff within the city were talking about banner protests. Everything seemed to have gone quiet, perhaps the promise of reduce compensation or job sharing hit home!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…