Have you ever had a computer virus?

PC Advisor 15:50 30 Sep 10

Has a computer that you've owned ever been infected with a virus? Have your say in the poll in the lefthand column.

Belatucadrus 16:04 30 Sep 10

Does yes include e-mail attachments that the security software caught or are you referring to nasties that penetrated the system and caused grief ?

David Price 16:17 30 Sep 10

I'm talking actual infections, Belatucadrus - stuff that made it through the AV and caused grief, as you put it.

Here's a direct link to the poll

click here

David Price
PCA

gardener 16:47 30 Sep 10

Had a really nasty one a couple of years ago, it started infecting all the Windows system files one by one. Nod32 spotted what was going on but couldn't stop it.

I turned the power off at the back of the PC and rebooted into Acronis rescue disk. Within 20 minutes I was back with a clean system. Marvellous programme!

sunnystaines 16:58 30 Sep 10

but not since the days of windows 95, had many blocked from web sites by norton since

wolfie3000 17:02 30 Sep 10

Iv had one that I know of, but it was put onto a pc by me,

I wanted to see how nasty it was, suffice to say the pc wouldn't even boot.

Did it on an old pc I was going to throw out.

carver 17:27 30 Sep 10

Theres one slight problem with this question, if you don't know you have a virus on your PC you would answer no and not every virus is the disruptive kind.

A friend of my daughter had one and it was only after her PC started to send e-mails to our PC that I found out about it and informed her of the problem, she got a bit angry saying she couldn't have a virus because SHE never went on dodgy sites.

Forum Editor 17:48 30 Sep 10

I did once have a computer virus infection, but it was so long ago I can't remember much about it.

jakimo 18:36 30 Sep 10

A few years ago <GANDALF <|:-)> claimed there was as much chance of the ordinary internet (non-business) user getting a virus as something or the other,I forget what the actual phrase he used, nobody posted a response!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:45 30 Sep 10

...Indeed. Viruses are very very rare but Trojans are not. Last time I saw a virus was at least 5 years ago but trojans are prevelant.

G

ronalddonald 19:19 30 Sep 10

its a pity i seem to get them using Microsoft but not on linux

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…