Have you change for a Winnie?

Quickbeam 09:02 AM 27 Apr 13

Churchill makes it onto the new fiver note after 50 years.

Personally I think he should have warranted a higher value position on a £20 or £50 note, and I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin. The now low value of a fiver being just small change even to kids.

Aitchbee 09:49 AM 27 Apr 13

The Royal Mint did bring out a Churchill £5 coin recently...

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/thechurchill5poundcoin_pack

In Scotland, Bank of England fivers are 'few-and-far-between' ... 'Oh Yes' ;o]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:53 AM 27 Apr 13

I thought you meant one of these or this (youtube)

:0)

Aitchbee 09:56 AM 27 Apr 13
  Chronos the 2nd 09:57 AM 27 Apr 13

"I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin."

Oh great lets have more coinage to add weight to our pockets.

Quickbeam 10:06 AM 27 Apr 13

"Oh great lets have more coinage to add weight to our pockets."

Look at the purchasing value of a fiver today, about two pints of beer (or any commodity you want to use), compared to the mid '70s, when you could buy 5 pints with a pound note. The day of the fiver note is long gone by 20 years.

bumpkin 11:08 AM 27 Apr 13

There was a Churchill crown coin minted in the sixties. Todays face value 25p how about a fivers worth of those in your pocket.

Quickbeam 12:05 PM 27 Apr 13

That's why the equivalent 20p & 5p coins are so light. Who's saying a £5 coin has to be the size of a dinner plate because it was equivalent to a weeks wages in the '50s?

The value of £5 today is a bag of carrots, some oranges, some chocolate, an apple pie, and a loaf of bread (20 minutes ago in the co-op). It's small change shopping a fiver is.

bumpkin 14:03 PM 27 Apr 13

No need for a £5 coin to be large at all, I was not saying that. I think a £5 coin would be much better myself.

spuds 14:16 PM 27 Apr 13

Aitchbee - I recall the days when bringing a Scottish fiver south of the border, there was the likelihood that the police would have been called, on suspicion that it was dodgy currency ;O)

If and when Scotland go Euro, I wonder if dear old Robbie would have a lookin?.

Quickbeam 14:50 PM 27 Apr 13

We might not be letting the Picts keep our £ Sterling, so they can revert to the Groat if they like...

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone