Have you change for a Winnie?

Quickbeam 09:02 AM 27 Apr 13

Churchill makes it onto the new fiver note after 50 years.

Personally I think he should have warranted a higher value position on a £20 or £50 note, and I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin. The now low value of a fiver being just small change even to kids.

Aitchbee 09:49 AM 27 Apr 13

The Royal Mint did bring out a Churchill £5 coin recently...

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/thechurchill5poundcoin_pack

In Scotland, Bank of England fivers are 'few-and-far-between' ... 'Oh Yes' ;o]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:53 AM 27 Apr 13

I thought you meant one of these or this (youtube)

:0)

Aitchbee 09:56 AM 27 Apr 13
  Chronos the 2nd 09:57 AM 27 Apr 13

"I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin."

Oh great lets have more coinage to add weight to our pockets.

Quickbeam 10:06 AM 27 Apr 13

"Oh great lets have more coinage to add weight to our pockets."

Look at the purchasing value of a fiver today, about two pints of beer (or any commodity you want to use), compared to the mid '70s, when you could buy 5 pints with a pound note. The day of the fiver note is long gone by 20 years.

bumpkin 11:08 AM 27 Apr 13

There was a Churchill crown coin minted in the sixties. Todays face value 25p how about a fivers worth of those in your pocket.

Quickbeam 12:05 PM 27 Apr 13

That's why the equivalent 20p & 5p coins are so light. Who's saying a £5 coin has to be the size of a dinner plate because it was equivalent to a weeks wages in the '50s?

The value of £5 today is a bag of carrots, some oranges, some chocolate, an apple pie, and a loaf of bread (20 minutes ago in the co-op). It's small change shopping a fiver is.

bumpkin 14:03 PM 27 Apr 13

No need for a £5 coin to be large at all, I was not saying that. I think a £5 coin would be much better myself.

spuds 14:16 PM 27 Apr 13

Aitchbee - I recall the days when bringing a Scottish fiver south of the border, there was the likelihood that the police would have been called, on suspicion that it was dodgy currency ;O)

If and when Scotland go Euro, I wonder if dear old Robbie would have a lookin?.

Quickbeam 14:50 PM 27 Apr 13

We might not be letting the Picts keep our £ Sterling, so they can revert to the Groat if they like...

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites