Have you any tips?

natdoor 17:05 19 Oct 07

A neighbour dropped by today and asked what I was doing. I duly explained and he thought that he would do the same in future. So has anyone one or more hopefully useful tips to pass on? It may be that for many the tip is teaching gran to suck eggs but if one or more find a useful tip it will be worhwhile.

My tip? I wanted to mow the lawn and there had been a heavy dew and, although the sun was shining, it seemed doubtful that the lawn would dry sufficienly, especially in shaded areas. So I "switched" the grass, as greenkeepers do on golf courses. They use long flexible fibreglass rods. I have tried using a very long but inflexible cane or dragging a hosepipe. The first was back-breaking and the second not very controllable. So now I use a length of circular cross-section plastic drainpipe some six feet in length which I propel across the ground using my feet, moving it forward with a little downward pressure. The dewdrops get knocked off the grass and the lawn is dry for mowing or applying fertiliser in a short while.

tullie 17:22 19 Oct 07

My tip,concrete the lawn

Quickbeam 17:25 19 Oct 07

I now use a loop of heavy rope & drag it over the grass after seeing how effective it is at drying test match grounds.

crosstrainer 17:28 19 Oct 07

Tips for getting rid of reeds? I live next to a river, and the damn things just keep on growing in my garden.....Failing that, maybe tarmac!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 19 Oct 07
  crosstrainer 17:44 19 Oct 07

Oh my god....It's a dissertation :)

Curio 18:27 19 Oct 07

I only have a small lawn. Sweep the grass with a stiff bristled brush was the advice given me by a knowledgeable gardener.

Curio 18:27 19 Oct 07

I only have a small lawn. Sweep the grass with a stiff bristled brush was the advice given me by a knowledgeable gardener.

realist 18:40 19 Oct 07

Take a large landscaping rake and pull it over the grass flat side down to clear dew.

VNAM75 19:22 19 Oct 07

Is it possible/safe to cut the lawn (with flymo) when its wet? I want to cut it one last time before winter sets in.

Its been sunny where I live but the lawn is slightly wet each day, probably due to the overnight moisture. The grass is about 3 inches.

laurie53 20:41 19 Oct 07

If you have fence posts to put in take some time the evening before to go out and pour a bucket of water over each area where you intend to drive the posts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…