Have us Brits gone mad?

CurlyWhirly 18:05 10 Dec 04

click here

Do we never learn?

Dorsai 19:25 10 Dec 04

I dont think it is a purely British Phenomenon.

Spam gets sent to the entire world. If it only worked on us Brits, then no spam would get sent anywhere but to Britain.

What the articles do not say is what % of spammed users respond in other countries.

We Brits may be the least likely to fall for it, or the most.

How many people reply to a junk mail letter offering a service/product, without looking into the company who sent it, or comparing the service/product with others?

Junk mail/spam in my flat gets binned, however good the offer looks. If i want something i will buy from who i choose, not from those who chose to target me. Perhaps i am in the minority with this approach though, as the spam and junk mail continue to be sent, in ever increasing amounts.

CurlyWhirly 19:30 10 Dec 04

I am like you I delete *all* junk e-mail without even reading it because of the possibility of malware.
Regarding your comment about if you want something *you* will choose and not let someone choose for you, then I do *exactly* the same and hopefully one day SPAM will begin to die but I am not holding my breath!

Cook2 22:53 10 Dec 04
  Cook2 22:53 10 Dec 04
  CurlyWhirly 22:57 10 Dec 04

Thanks for the link but I already use an e-mail SPAM filter.
I am quite lucky as I don't seem to get more than 2 or 3 a day now, which is nothing compared to what I used to get!

Dorsai 04:30 13 Dec 04

One thing that i find helps me with spam is thunderbird's filter options. All the spam i get is not directly addressed to me, but is 'cc' to me, and most of that is addressed 'to' the same e-mail address, which is not mine.

So i set up a filter to delete the mail from my pop server if addressed to the 3rd party address that 95% of my spam is 'to'. + a second filter to sort all mail that is 'cc' to me into the spam folder.

The only mail that gets into my inbox is mail directly addressed 'to me'.

To date this works, and only 1 or 2 spam end up in my spam folder a week. the rest all get deleted from the server without my knowing, as they have all been addressed 'to' the same 3rd party e-mail address, not to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…