Have I/we overstepped the mark?

Sapins 19:08 15 Jan 05

I have re-read the "rules" and cannot see that I or anyone else has.

I thought Speakers Corner would allow a thread to run until the poster Green Ticked it, or, if someone broke the rules re content, which can be deleted separately if necessary.

It seems to me FE that you will delete and/or close a thread if you do not agree with the sentiments expressed and not let an interesting discussion continue.

I am aware that it is your perogative to do as you think fit, but, I cannot see why my recent thread was closed, other than you thought it should be closed.

Regards,

Sapins.

stalion 19:11 15 Jan 05

seconded

VoG II 19:26 15 Jan 05

It wan't exactly going anywhere, was it?

Sapins 19:40 15 Jan 05

It was giving people the opportunity to express their views, it didn't have to go anywhere as there was no definitive answer.

carolineann 19:46 15 Jan 05

" I am aware that it is your perogative to do as you think fit"

Enough said I think.

sidecar sid 20:00 15 Jan 05

I would not take it personally. As you say it is the FE’s prerogative to allow or deny a post. weather or not he gets it right is for you to decide we are all human and we all make mistakes at the end of the day having a post closed/deleted in the grand scheme of things is no big issue. I’m sure the FE try’s to be as impartial as is humanly possible. But at the end of the day he is only human.

Dan the Confused 20:10 15 Jan 05

If you think FE has been unfair in any way then it would be better to contact him personally and not post a thread on the subject. I am sure he would listen and give you a courteous answer.

It's Me 20:45 15 Jan 05

As usual I totally agree with Sapins on subjects such as this. The plug is pulled when we don't agree with the younger end it seems to me. Incuidently I have in front of me a letter dated 2005 with the ending I suggested.

james55 21:24 15 Jan 05

It would just be as courteous if the person who had posted a wrong reply was given an explanation by e-mail what he had done wrong, I am sure he would not repeat it. I have had a few posts that ended abruptly with result I intend to lurk more than post.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:12 16 Jan 05

This is something that you will all get over.

G

Forum Editor 00:26 16 Jan 05

how some people feel the need to post threads like this, instead of writing to me personally? When someone contacts me about a deletion I always provide an explanation, and nine times out of ten I find that the person concerned tells me that he/she understands - and that's the end of it.

"The plug is pulled when we don't agree with the younger end it seems to me." Does it really? I'm probably one of the older people in the forum, and I suppose I should be flattered that someone considers me to be at "the younger end".

What constitutes an "interesting discussion" is of course a matter of opinion, and of course the person who starts the discussion is bound to find it interesting. My view was similar to that of VoG™ - the thread wasn't going anywhere, and frankly was about a fairly trivial matter. I fail to see that a discussion about how to address someone in an email can possibly be something to engage the forum for more than an hour or so. My decision - as always - was an editorial one, there was nothing personal about it, and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

I find myself intensely irritated by these public displays of pique. If you have something to say to me about a thread deletion please say it on a person to person basis, rather than trying to whip up support like this; It cuts no ice with me at all - I thought we had left that kind of behaviour firmly in the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…