Have I fell off the list?

pj123 14:54 08 Apr 05

I haven't had any emails from Ebay/Paypal (which I don't have an account for) telling me that my account needs updating and give all my details via "this link".

I used to enjoy forwarding these emails to [email protected]

But, I am now getting similar emails about my Barclays Bank account (which I also don't have), so I can forward them instead.

Good ere in it?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 15:11 08 Apr 05

Oh the Joy of spam!

I get these emails in my gmail account about paypal that they have lost my details and that i need to enter them again........What a load of rubbish.and once more my gmail has nothing to do with my paypal account because it is registered on a different address!!!

pj123 15:39 08 Apr 05

Ben, yes but you do have a paypal account which could make the emails feasible. Although from what I know of you via the Forum you are pretty clued up, so you would recognise a scam when you see it. I don't have a paypal account, a ebay account or a Barclays bank account. So I know they are scam emails but other vunerable people who do have these accounts may think they are for real.

freaky 15:55 08 Apr 05

These are typical scams and in some cases look very realistic, the headings use the various Bank Logo's.

Anything I receive via email that asks for confidential information I delete straight away.

A few months ago I received one pretending to be one of the big UK Bank's. I new it was a scam but I clicked on the link out of interest, the page I went to I could not exit from. I tried everything, but as a last resort had to do a reboot!

watchful 16:56 08 Apr 05
  octal 17:39 08 Apr 05

I know you shouldn't do this, but I can't resist. I sometimes click on the link and give them my details. Not my real details, but a load of fictitious gobbledy-gook. It just gives them something to waste their time on. I wouldn't recommend doing it though because it sometimes opens the Spam floodgates, but I usually do it on one of my 'disposable' email accounts which I abandon and open up another.

They do get forwarded to [email protected] as well.

Dorsai 18:47 08 Apr 05

I set up mail filters, and most spam now does not even arrive. It is deleated from the pop server, with out even being downloaded.

I make a filter for a certian spam, and set it to put the spam in a folder 'spam'. If after a while the only mail that goes in that folder as a result of the spicific filter is in deed spam, i then change the action from 'move to spam' to 'delete from pop server'...

The easiest filter to catch spam seems to be one that catches mail where the actual 'to address' is not 'to you'...Much spam seems to be 'to A person @ An Address' and CC's to several other addresses, that are all variations on the address. You, the reciever are one of the CC'd addresses. Makes sending one mail go to many addresses, and also makes detecting the spam easier.

Just tell anyone who you want to e-mail you not to CC you.

spuds 23:23 08 Apr 05
  DieSse 01:06 09 Apr 05

I had a scam BBC emial the other day - It looked very, very, authentic - except it announced "the pope has dead" (sic). Bit of a giveaway, what!!

It also tried to download a trojan if one was foolish enough to think it really came from the Beeb and clicked on the link.

I get fake emails from banks where I've never even heard of the banks.

jack 14:32 09 Apr 05

I guess my ISP filter is pretty good in addition
to my own- becuase I havn't seem spam for yonks
[did I speak too soon?]

But to spread this a little further
a lady I know is a pretty clued person, asked if I have entered her name into a lottery. To which I replied I had not. She and her husband [my mate] went on to relate how they had be recieving phone calles from USA/Spain/Australia all with 'African'accents asking them to send a registration fee so their 'substandial winnings etc.,

A Scam of course, and she did not bite, but she was getting quite wound up about it and was visiting thw local cop shop, phoning the OZ office etc.
It did not seem to click that the best remedy was to hang up.

Likewize I have won a wonderful holiday, sez the bird on the phone ,'If would please press nine to complete the detail - Oh Yeah - so I hang up
Thats all you have to do delte or hang up.

But they still they try.

pj123 14:47 09 Apr 05

jack, they will always keep trying. If they get even a 2% response it is a good return for them.

We all know (don't we) that most reputable organisations (banks, building societies etc.) don't ask you for these details.

But there are still a lot of gullible people out there. Just read your local paper about the rogue dialler scam, with BT (and others) saying you made the call, you have to pay. I still think that is a 50/50 deal. The victim should have had some protection but the telephone supplier should have also flagged it as abnormal use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…