Have fuel prices affected your driving style?

VNAM75 19:05 11 Jun 08

I used to get about 39 mpg town driving in my focus 1.8 tdci. Now I accelerate a lot more smoothly, anticipate traffic lights ahead and change up at about 2200rpm and get 43mpg. It hasn't
affected the amount I drive, even non essential journeys.

I live about 5 miles from the city centre and the 10 mile return trip used to cost me under £1 in fuel. Every 1p increase in diesel increases the journey cost by 1p. Nothing at all, but it has increased by 1p nearly 40 times!

Kemistri 19:11 11 Jun 08

No, not at all. Neither has it changed my annual mileage, which is already quite insignificant.

mrwoowoo 19:18 11 Jun 08

It has mine, though it depends on your circumstances to some degree i would imagine.
My 2.5 ltr lump only does 22 - 24mpg if i drive what i call normally for me.
Due to the amount i'm spending on fuel, i now drive very light footed and have certainly noticed the difference with fuel consumption.
Strangely get less stressed poodling about.

VNAM75 19:27 11 Jun 08

"Strangely get less stressed poodling about"

I've found that to be the case too

bluto1 19:30 11 Jun 08

mrwoowoo,I too found that I get less stressed since I slowed down a touch. Driving between 52 and 58 MPH I'm getting a lot more mpg too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:44 11 Jun 08

Have fuel prices affected your driving style?

No but my stress levels did.

Now apply the 10 rules:-

set out 10 mins earlier
drive 10 MPH slower
drop 10 yards further back from the car in front.

Feel a lot more relaxed now when driving.

laurie53 20:01 11 Jun 08

Drive at 20. Let the guy/gal behind have all the stress!

sunny staines 20:05 11 Jun 08

do not go for so many trips to the coast for the day, round trip about 100 miles.

interzone55 20:33 11 Jun 08

Depending on the road you're on the police could pull you for driving at 20mph, you could well be class as a danger to other traffic.

For myself, since I got a car with a trip computer I've tended to drive a little slower. I try to keep my average mpg over 55, but it can be difficult when much of my journey is around town.

Last week I drove up the A1 from Cambridge to Rochdale, a trip of around 180 miles and I used less than 3 gallons.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:49 11 Jun 08

In a word...no.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 11 Jun 08

'Last week I drove up the A1 from Cambridge to Rochdale, a trip of around 180 miles and I used less than 3 gallons'...that would be 9 gallons here..still cheaper than the train.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…