Have to find a new place for my Backup

wee eddie 16:53 28 Sep 14

I have been keeping one of my Backup Drive's with a neighbour, as a little extra security. Now I get the feeling that one of his grandchildren has been accessing it.

It occurred to me that a Fireproof Box might do the trick. But - How long should it be fireproof for?

carver 17:14 28 Sep 14

Till the fires out?

wee eddie 17:31 28 Sep 14

I have assumed that fire and water are the main risks.

Amazon and eBay suggest that Home Safes are either waterproof or not, but rate fire protection by the 'half hour.

e.g. 1/2, 1, 1&1/2...With prices rising with Time.

As the Time Rating rises, the prices rise in a geometric progression, but I can find no guidance as to suitability of a particular Rating.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 28 Sep 14

Off site is better.

What are you using to backup? some programs allow you to put a pasword on the backup image.

Woolwell 17:39 28 Sep 14

It doesn't have to be safe for back ups. A fire proof cabinet will be just as good if it meets the same ratings.

wee eddie 17:43 28 Sep 14

But, How long does that need to be?

bumpkin 18:07 28 Sep 14

Just make another one and hide it in your loft if that is destroyed by fire it will be the least of your problems.

wee eddie 18:38 28 Sep 14

On the contrary. If the house burns, the insurance replaces.

If the PC and the Backup burn. The happy snaps are gone for ever

cream. 18:50 28 Sep 14

For €5 you can send it on the next Indian probe to Mars. When you need it buy a £10.99 virgin astro¿ ticket and pick it up. Be careful as I hear they may impose an import tax of ¥15000.

BRYNIT 19:01 28 Sep 14

Put backup drive into a security box that only you can access and then ask your neighbour to save it.

bumpkin 19:34 28 Sep 14

wee eddie, all joking aside I do think that you are being a bit paranoid here. I don't know of what importance your data is but surely a garage or shed would be safe enough. I keep mine in the same room as the PC, the chances of everything being stolen or destroyed in a fire are so remote that it does not concern me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac