Have Channel 4 completely lost the plot?

Belatucadrus 14:07 05 Jun 07
Answered

After the debacle of the Big brother racism issue, Channel 4 seem intent on plumbing the depths one more time with the Diana pics click here

Now I have no interest whatever in viewing this travesty but have after some thought managed to translate a couple of the C4 announcements more two face paragraphs.

1) "We would like to make clear that it was not our intention in commissioning this programme to cause them distress and we do not believe it is in any way disrespectful to the memory of Princess Diana."

Equals "While it was not our intention in commissioning this programme to cause them distress the fact that it clearly does, doesn't bother us in the least and we do not care if it is in any way disrespectful to the memory of Princess Diana as it'll be very profitable."

2) "The broadcaster said that they had weighed the Princes' concerns against the public interest of the documentary and would still include the pictures."

Equals "The broadcaster said that they had weighed the Princes' concerns against the loads of dosh that prurient public interest in the documentary will generate and would still include the pictures as money far outweighs all other considerations as far as they're concerned."

Gutter scraping trash from a channel that's gone to the dogs.

Cymro. 14:37 05 Jun 07

All very true Belatucadrus I quite agree.

€dstowe 15:04 05 Jun 07

I remember 1983 when Channel 4 started. It was a class act providing high quality programmes - programmes that were an alternative, different to the other three channels but quality just the same.

It's now the leader the draining away of all terrestrial television output into a an increasingly stinking cesspit of mediocrity.

(Note my use of "terrestrial" - the satellite channels are already swirling in the sewer.)

Aargh 15:25 05 Jun 07

Is Princess Diana dead. When? I hadn't noticed.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:35 05 Jun 07

All channels and newspapers show the dead in Africa/India etc., so I don't see any difference.

G

lisa02 15:45 05 Jun 07

Frankly I will not be viewing this. Enough is enough.

Sic 15:46 05 Jun 07

Its different Gandalf because Dianna is actually Jesus reborn and must be revered as such.

Pine Man 15:55 05 Jun 07

Whether you agree or not with C4 showing pictures of Diana in the crash or Big Brother or any of the other sickening stuff they transmit REMEMBER you always have the choice. The only thing you can say in defence of C4 is that there is always loads of advance publicity - not by them but by the media - so you aren't likely to watch it by mistake. Unless you want to really ;-)

Kate B 15:56 05 Jun 07

Channel 4 says it doesn't show any images of Diana dead - not least of course because she was still alive when she was pulled out of the car. I'm rather of the view that you should be sensitive about causing grief to relatives when you publish pictures of wounded people unless it's in the public interest, which I don't think this is.

But Gandalf makes a very valid point: the answer, I suppose, is that images of the dead elsewhere are less likely to cause distress to a close relative if shown here.

monkeyboy21 16:28 05 Jun 07

Surely, it is impossible to comment on a program either pro or anti until it has been broadcast, and in what context the images were used. It is all very well criticising a program prior to transmission, but this seems to be typical knee jerk reaction to headlines, without delving further in to the actual content of what has been broadcast. Channel four received similar complaints re the Brass Eye Paedophilia Episode, which in fact was a well made program parodying the hysteria and knee jerk media reaction to events!

Kate B 16:38 05 Jun 07

Good post, monkeyboy21.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017